which callibre

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > which callibre

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default which callibre

Hi
Which callibre would be best between a 7mm-08 remington and 7x64 Brenneke Primery use target up to 500 yard Secondary use, hunting deer in australia Rifle will be for a woman so looking for less recoil Will be reloading for the riffle Looking at a Sako85 with a Leupold VXIII 6.5 or 8.5-20x50

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #2

Liked 737 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 764

What model Sako 85? If the rifles is going to be used for target and medium game, I think you may want to look at a different scope. The 50mm is going to make the scope very high and a 6.5 minimum is to much for hunting on the low point. If your hunting is going to happen between 50 and 300 yards, a 3-12x40..42mm should fit the bill for both. For caliber, Why a 7mm? 7mm08 is a great cartridge, so is 7mmRem Mag, Either will work. That Rifle is also offered in 6.5x55. For the applications you list, that would be my choice. For mild recoil, the 7-08 or 6.5x55 fit the bill.
You should head over to the introductions thread and tell us about yourself and that beautiful country.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would go with the 7-08. I also don`t think you have any thing to gain by going with a 50 mm objective lens, the 40 mm should do fine.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 03-15-2010, 12:30 AM   #4

Default which callibre

Thanks for the reply. I got a 8.5-20x50 on Sako optilocks which I want to use for the 500 and will get a 3-9x40/50 for the hunting side. As the optilocks is quick detachable, I'll swap them over.
I've never shot/loaded for the 7mm 08. My wife got a Sako 243 and we are going for a hunt at the end of May on a farm, Their requirements are a minimum of .2506, that is why I am looking for something bigger for her to shoot with. I'm looking for something with not too much recoil, and I found the 7mm 08 and the 7 x 64. I can't decide between the two. As the 7mm 08's case is smaller which will give me a more compact load, I was leaning more to it, but I noticed that the 7 x 64 use totally different powders. Will those powders fill the cases, or will it only be half full and might need some fillers to fill the cases?