Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Caliber Rifle for 13 Yr old Girl.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Caliber Rifle for 13 Yr old Girl.

Hey guys, my daughter will turn 13 in less than a week and she loves shooting I just can't think of a rifle to get her. Any ideas? I was thinking of a semi auto 223 Ruger Mini 14. She loves the rifle but she hates to Field strip it, I'm willing to spend $800 dollars on a conclusive firearm i would like to see what you guys recommend. Thank you all, take care sincerely
-Vladimir Kalashnikov

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1105 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 634

does she have any rifles currently? i was thinking something a little less to start with. i got my marlin bolt action .22lr when i was 12. i remember it, and still use it. just shot it last weekend. they are great for learning how to shoot, and proper safety. also ammo is cheap. if your set on the .223 caliber. why not an enry level AR that you can get for around $600/$700.i think it would be better accuracy, and disassembly wise than a standard mini14. or even a bolt action .223. i tend towards cheaper, slower shooting firearms for young people. but thats just me.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

I'd say go with the Marlin 60.

WallyWorld has a really nice

stainless steel one right now for

230$.

Semi-auto, 22LR, lightweight, tube-fed for dependability.

My old 60 works so well, I call it "the typewriter", because

with ear protection it sounds a lot like an old electric typewriter.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #4

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I'd say go with the Marlin 60.

WallyWorld has a really nice

stainless steel one right now for

230$.

Semi-auto, 22LR, lightweight, tube-fed for dependability.

My old 60 works so well, I call it "the typewriter", because

with ear protection it sounds a lot like an old electric typewriter.

And here I thought I was the only one that remembered using a type writer

If she doesn't like complicated take downs why not get her a bolt action in 223 or some similar round. If she just really likes semi auto rifles a 22 would be a good way or even maybe an SKS if she just really likes the boom of the gun, also they're not all that complicated to take apart and clean.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 06-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

I would say to start her out with something like a Ruger 10-22 and then graduate up to the AR when she gets all of her safe weapons and shooting fundamental skills down. The AR would be a great second rifle for her which also allows for stock adjustment to fit her.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #6

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd say get her a good cheap 22 rifle like a Marlin XT or model 60.....if she exists that is.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #7

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
I would say to start her out with something like a Ruger 10-22 and then graduate up to the AR when she gets all of her safe weapons and shooting fundamental skills down. The AR would be a great second rifle for her which also allows for stock adjustment to fit her.

+1

Couldn't have said it better.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

I also recommend a .22Lr, if you are dead set on a bigger caliber then I'm sure the AK74 would be ok. I've been told that they recoil less than a 223. If you did go that route, consider the Arsenal brand, most of the rifle including the reciever is made in Russia.

There are also AKM style 22 rifles available.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Last edited by sputnik1988; 06-19-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1
does she have any rifles currently? i was thinking something a little less to start with. i got my marlin bolt action .22lr when i was 12. i remember it, and still use it. just shot it last weekend. they are great for learning how to shoot, and proper safety. also ammo is cheap. if your set on the .223 caliber. why not an enry level AR that you can get for around $600/$700.i think it would be better accuracy, and disassembly wise than a standard mini14. or even a bolt action .223. i tend towards cheaper, slower shooting firearms for young people. but thats just me.
I got her a .22 two years ago.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988
I also recommend a .22Lr, if you are dead set on a bigger caliber then I'm sure the AK74 would be ok. I've been told that they recoil less than a 223. If you did go that route, consider the Arsenal brand, most of the rifle including the reciever is made in Russia.

There are also AKM style 22 rifles available.
An AK74 has a pellet rifles recoil. IMHO