Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   ca process to transfer firearm ownership? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ca-process-transfer-firearm-ownership-88101/)

Armed-Citizen 04-03-2013 06:55 PM

ca process to transfer firearm ownership?

Want to transfer family members firearm to my name ..
What would the process be?
Im in California
Also how would the process be for a deceased family members firearm to be transferred to someone else?

SSGN_Doc 04-03-2013 07:09 PM

Is the firearm "in someone elses name"? Long ago when I lived there firearms were not registered to a person.

If you want to do a transfer of posession through a liscensed dealer, then you could contact one of the gun shops for the process and fees.

The only items that I know that may be sticky would be registered class 3 weapons. Usually handing a firearm down to another family member who can legally own the firearm, does not require any paperwork, it "gifted" to that person. As long as there is no reason that they could not own it, (not of legal age, felony convictions, mental health, domestic violence charges, drug use, citizenship, etc.) then it is legal.

What are we trying to transfer?

Armed-Citizen 04-03-2013 10:19 PM

hello, one is a winchester 94 and a 270 rifle bolt action...
my deceased family memeber (grandpa) had a revolver he purchased who knows when,,,i believe in the 1930s or 40s....so i was wondering how can the process be for this situation?

as for the rifles, i assume it be a different process,

SSGN_Doc 04-03-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen (Post 1202069)
hello, one is a winchester 94 and a 270 rifle bolt action...
my deceased family memeber (grandpa) had a revolver he purchased who knows when,,,i believe in the 1930s or 40s....so i was wondering how can the process be for this situation?

as for the rifles, i assume it be a different process,

I would call a gunshop and speak to the liscensed dealer on what the laws are in California currently.

My understanding is a lot more dated (1999 was the last time I set foot in California). But at that time there was no registration of firearms to an individual. transfers between private parties who both were residents of the state and who could both legally own firearms could conduct the transaction on their own with no registration process. That may have changed. I do know that concealed carry permits did have to have carry firearms listed on them at one time, and that was the closest to registering the firearm to a person that I saw. None of the firearms that you list would have been defined as assault weapons and need to have been grandfathered in and complicate transfer.

Again, I'd ask a liscensed dealer what the current laws are regarding transfer of firearms in your state. Some states may have already made it mandatory for all transfers of firearms to go through a dealer.

JTJ 04-03-2013 10:49 PM

Call the DOJ. When I gave my son a pistol all that was required was a form from the DOJ but that was a long time ago. In the case of a deceased owner the guns may have to go to a dealer.

c3shooter 04-03-2013 10:51 PM

Welcome to the forum- glad you found your way here.

This is a link to the California DOJ Firearms site: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms

Your real worries in CA will be firearms that you are not discussing. There is no registration of ordinary rifles such as the ones you have described that I am aware of.

Looks as if CA requires a Handgun Safety Certificate when transferring a handgun- check the wording. Other than that, no transfer or registration that I see for a revolver, so long as it is already in CA, and so are you.

AgentTikki 04-03-2013 11:54 PM

Transfer from mother/father, grandfather/grandmother does not require any paperwork, whether rifle or pistol. So long as it does not fall under the CA DOJ's definition of an assault weapon, which unless you have a full auto revolver do not.

If you wanted to give it to your sister/brother, it would require a PPT private party transfer.

For more detailed information goto calguns.net, a great resource.