You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Ca ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ca ar

I have a 9mm Ar. If I install a bolt catch which would effectively make it a single shot rifle,make it California compliant?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2017, 05:39 AM   #2

Liked 8185 Times on 4473 Posts
Likes Given: 13962

i have no idea to be honest.

my suggestion would be to talk to some gun dealers in your area, and see how they are either getting AR. that are compliant, or how they are being modified to be compliant with the state laws on AR's.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:10 AM   #3

Liked 792 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 2930

I just pray to God that the insanities of California stop at their borders, this whole left coast infection is really sad. Our so called leaders here in Oregon seem to think what California does sounds good for them to put into law.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply

Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #5

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fioman View Post
I have a 9mm Ar. If I install a bolt catch which would effectively make it a single shot rifle,make it California compliant?
Yes it would.

The defining aspect of California's "Assault Rifle" law begins with "semi-automatic." If your gun is not capable of semiautomatic fire, then does not fit the criteria for classification as an "Assault Rifle."

Under California statute, simply removing the gas tube to render the gun incapable of semiautomatic function removes it from being considered an "Assault Rifle."

IF you want to keep your semiautomatic function yet avoid registration, simply convert the rifle to "featureless." By removing all the legislatively defined "features" from your AR, it is no longer an AR by law...even though it is still fully functional...and the best part is, as a featureless rifle it does NOT require a bullet button!!!! Think Ruger Mini-14...perfectly legal for sale in California....because it lacks all those "features" that make the AR "evil."

So convert to featureless. You still have the same "core" rifle with only cosmetic differences.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:02 AM   #6

Liked 111 Times on 89 Posts

It is unfortunate that idiots are determining what you and I can own on the premis that society is otherwise in danger, a totally unsupported position. To morph an AR into a sanitized version makes no sense as the rifle's firepower is unchanged as is the citizen who lawfully owns it.
Perhaps these same law writers could spend a little time protecting you and I from the dangers of visiting monuments to war heroes, religious figures, great contributing Americans and preservers of freedom. They could perhaps replace them with statues of Ronald Mc Donald or other politically cleansed idols.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
It is unfortunate that idiots are determining what you and I can own on the premis that society is otherwise in danger, a totally unsupported position. To morph an AR into a sanitized version makes no sense as the rifle's firepower is unchanged as is the citizen who lawfully owns it.
Perhaps these same law writers could spend a little time protecting you and I from the dangers of visiting monuments to war heroes, religious figures, great contributing Americans and preservers of freedom. They could perhaps replace them with statues of Ronald Mc Donald or other politically cleansed idols.
i agree. functionally, the rifle is essentially the same, it's only changed cosmetically to appease certain people who seem offended that mere citizen might own such firearms. truly sad state of affairs.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #8

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts

Yes, but think about it...it's kind of a "good thing" that they can't simply ban whatever they please. The fact that they have to parse terms in order to include a particular set of features is actually good for owners!

As Shakespeare once opined (possibly), "A rose by any other name is still a rose." The same is true of any AR-15 fitted with "non-evil features" when in fact at it's CORE it is EXACTLY the same thing. I know I should not post such because the gun grabbers will swiftly follow, but I am actually enthusiastic that the days of legislatively outlawing variations of the AR-15 will soon come to a close!

Old 08-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilibreaux View Post
Yes, but think about it...it's kind of a "good thing" that they can't simply ban whatever they please. The fact that they have to parse terms in order to include a particular set of features is actually good for owners!

As Shakespeare once opined (possibly), "A rose by any other name is still a rose." The same is true of any AR-15 fitted with "non-evil features" when in fact at it's CORE it is EXACTLY the same thing. I know I should not post such because the gun grabbers will swiftly follow, but I am actually enthusiastic that the days of legislatively outlawing variations of the AR-15 will soon come to a close!
you and i know that, and most gun owners know that, but the silly politicians, and the idiots that vote for them don't know that.

example: they are essentially trying to outlaw the AR rifles in California, by neutering it of it's so-called evil features. but at the same time the Ruger Mini 14 is still legal. they look totally different, but we as gun owners and shooter know realistically there isn't any real difference between the two types of rifles for all practical purposes.