buying my first centerfire rifle inquire - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > buying my first centerfire rifle inquire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

What is long range shoot to you?

How far are you taking shots at game?

Best bang for your buck is going to be a gun that fires and goes BANG.

The best quality without price limit is going to be a totally custom built rifle with a custom action (Bat, Surgon, Kelbly, Nesika, ect......) with a high quality stock and a high quality barrel made with single point cut rifling (Kreiger) Then you need a scope lets just say if you are spending $3000 to build a rifle you ain't puttin no Tasco on it. Figure at least $4500 for a rifle with a scope (leupold and Night Force are you bottom of the top end). Smidt and bender, ziess, and swaroski are the top of the top along with a new commer March by Denon Optics.

Sakos have been and are high quality rifles with a solid design and superb craftsmanship.

As far as adjustable stock if your going to get an adjustable cheek piece then get one that is fully adjustable.

Looks to me like you are wanting to do two totally different things with one gun.

A long range shooter is going to have a long barrel 30+ inches. A 1moa hunting rifle is not going to get you shots out to 500+ yards. Your long range shooting is going to take a heavier gun 15+ pounds some times and are you really going to want to be packing a 15# rifle threw the woods? Then shooting long range needs power lots of power in your optics. You don't need a 12-42x56mm nightforce scope for eastern deer hunting you will never see the darn thing because the FOV is so small.

You need to figure out what you want to do with a rifle and not what you would like to do. Then you need to figure out what cartridge you want to use. Then after you figure out that you need to pick your rifle. Then you need to figure out what scope you want to put on it and what mounts you want to use.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
bb1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I would not even consider the .303. They have the trajectory of a rainbow. Not good for long range work.
How old are you? Are you done growing? If you are, then a good way to see if your gun fits is to:
Close your eyes, put the rifle to your shoulder, then open them. If you are looking through the scope, then it is ready for hunting.
I wouldn't look at the price tag until I had made my choice. You can spend alot of money on a well polished turd.