Buying firearms from Wal-mart. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Buying firearms from Wal-mart.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've gotten several guns from walmart because after deciding what I wanted and shopping around they had the best price.

As far as the Federal ammo recall is concerned, I called Federal after getting a box of 45acp with small pistol primers. I was told that Federal Champion is made in one of two plants and is made for Walmart using plated bullets. I did see them show up in Gander Mountain recently though.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #12

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

It is called cost cutting.

To keep ammo at or around the same price now as before the stupid $105 oil race began and the metal prices went through the roof they have to keep cost down somewhere.

I am sure we can all agree that cutting the salary of the workers.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
My first 870 I had I got a wally world was junk (but so was the second one that didnt come from there). The Savage 93 17hmr I got from there was also junk. I'm not say it is or isn't true thats just my experiance with walmart guns.
If I had that kind of luck with Wally's rifles I would be weary of them too. The three I've bought, a Savage 110 in 270-Win, Marlin 917V and a Model 60 have all been good rifles. The Savage 30-06, Mossberg 702 Plinkster and a NEF 7mm-08 a friend bought were fine too. All these rifles happen to have been purchased in a six month span in 2006.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2721 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

Default 45 ACP Small Primer Information

Orangello,

Federal has made some ammunition in 45 ACP and test marketed it a the Wal-Mart and some other stores.
In the near future just for the members information. The small primer for the 45 ACP will be in full production in the future. Due to the fact that with the modern day powders it is not necessary to have large primers in the 45 ACP. How soon before they fully implement this I do not know at the present. But do know they are producing some now. That is the plan. The ammunition has performed the same as it does with the large primers according to tests.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #15

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken View Post
So somebody mentioned on the site that Wal-mart's firearm selection is made up of cheaply made models of the same firearms you can purchase at Academy Sports, Dicks or your local gun shop. I don't see how this is possible, I really don't think any of the firearm companies would go out of their way to make an even cheaper version of the same rifle just to sell at wal-mart. I could be wrong, but I would like to hear some stories and possibly picture proof.
That same nonsense line has been echoed by many small retailers that can not compete against the big box stores. I have spoken to several manufacturers about it and they said that if it's the same model number it is the same gun. For liability reasons it has to be that way. NOW that being said there are special runs of bulk ammo and other items that are specially branded and packaged for WalMart but they are CLEARLY different branding than the standard items.
These items achieve their lower price point form bulk purchases not usually lower quality. There were some Remington bulk .22s that had issues with not enough priming compound in their rims and they had a bigger than average number of misfires. That was a quality control issue, not specific to any one retailer but the fact that a lot of that ammo was sold through WalMart helped fuel this myth..

Old 03-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #16

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I wouldn't buy a lawnmower there due to old news about Briggs & Stratton using differently specced engines for their WallyWorld products.
Sears too but that's not guns.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #17

Default Lord, Lord, another staunch Confederate (thank God)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Wal Mart has some very nice guns. There's a Marlin 336 at one of the local ones that's Stainless Steel with a heavy barrel I'd love to have even if it does have a synthetic stock (I hate synthetic). It also carries a price tag of 690.00.
I haven't bought firearms from Walmart, but, years ago, I bought several
from K-Mart.....Including a couple of Radom P-35 9mm pistols and a splendid
Savage .222/20 Gauge over and under.

Both the Radoms were Nazi Waffenamet marked.....One shot well, and the other turned
itself into junk with 1 box of Remington-Peters 9mm ammunition.

Now, with the perils of living on Social Security, I buy ammunition from
Walmart......My only complaint about them is the clerks are downright
stupid , and don't know their Merchandise......

I still wish I had that good 9mm Radom. (it was slotted for a shoulder
stock)......Very early Nazi......I could make 500% profit on it in the blink
of an eye.(at today's prices)

I've never noticed any qualitative differences between Walmart firearms
and anybody else's.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #18
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2018 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 4284

I have a Remington 700 VTR .223 from Walmart in 2008 for little over $630 amount. I had to special order the rifle from their catalog at the store. They were cheaper than Sportsman's Warehouse at the time. Not all Walmarts sell firearms, just ammo. Some will sell firearms that is on-stock only, need to ask!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #19

Default I have never seen any firearms at Walmarts except Paintball guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken View Post
So somebody mentioned on the site that Wal-mart's firearm selection is made up of cheaply made models of the same firearms you can purchase at Academy Sports, Dicks or your local gun shop. I don't see how this is possible, I really don't think any of the firearm companies would go out of their way to make an even cheaper version of the same rifle just to sell at wal-mart. I could be wrong, but I would like to hear some stories and possibly picture proof.
Never seen any firearms at any Walmart, just ammo & paintballs guns

Old 03-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default Always the best price... almost always

I bought my Remington 870 Express at Walmart back in the mid 80's because it was by far the best OTD price in Fort Worth TX and has dropped a many dove, quail and pheasant without a single hiccup.

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne