Buying firearms from Wal-mart.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Buying firearms from Wal-mart.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Buying firearms from Wal-mart.

So somebody mentioned on the site that Wal-mart's firearm selection is made up of cheaply made models of the same firearms you can purchase at Academy Sports, Dicks or your local gun shop. I don't see how this is possible, I really don't think any of the firearm companies would go out of their way to make an even cheaper version of the same rifle just to sell at wal-mart. I could be wrong, but I would like to hear some stories and possibly picture proof.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I can't tell you about what Walmart sells. I'm in Kalifornia and we can barely get ammunition at one.

Back in the day there used to be Western Auto, Montgomery Wards, Sears-Roebuck and some others I can't rightly remember. Companies like Marlin and Winchester and Savage manufactured slightly downscaled versions of their firearms.

For instance, if a Marlin lever action had checkering on the pistol grip and forearm, it was left off of the rifle sold at Monkey Wards. Maybe instead of a gold color trigger, it was black. So, the differences were for the most part purely cosmetic.

The names were different as well. As far as I know, Ted Williams never manufactured a firearm, but you could buy a Ted Williams rifle at Sears. Harrington Richardson sold their guns at Sears labeled as J.C. Higgins.

You get the idea. So, if you can get a good enough price, it's good quality and you like the gun, buy it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 03-08-2011 at 07:43 AM.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken View Post
So somebody mentioned on the site that Wal-mart's firearm selection is made up of cheaply made models of the same firearms you can purchase at Academy Sports, Dicks or your local gun shop. I don't see how this is possible, I really don't think any of the firearm companies would go out of their way to make an even cheaper version of the same rifle just to sell at wal-mart. I could be wrong, but I would like to hear some stories and possibly picture proof.
The rifles me and some friends bought from Wal-Mart were/are the same rifles everyone else sells. Sometimes one retailer will have an exclusive item sold only in their stores, for example, a few years ago Dick's had an exclusive thumb-hole stocked Savage rifle that wasn't supposed to be available anywhere else at the time. Other than exclusive items like that the rest are build in the same factory, buy the same people as any other weapon sold to other retailers. There's no secret Wal-Marlin or Rem-Mart plant turning out cheaper guns.

The Model 60, 917V and Savage 110 I've bought are the same rifles sold elsewhere. As CA357 pointed out, years ago things were a little different, but those rifles were not branded as Marlins, but it's not like that anymore. Everything is sold under the names of Marlin, Savage, Remington etc..

Old 03-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Some people really get off by trashing Wal Mart. I suppose it makes them somehow feel superior or more intelligent.

Firearm and ammo makers sell their products through Wal Mart, which is just another retail outlet. Wal Mart gets the same quality gun and ammo products as everyone else. If any manufacturer were to knowingly sell inferior products, regardless of where they were sold, they would be open to massive legal liability issues.

I worked for Leupold a few years back. While there, Leupold began marketing a new line of scopes, called Rifleman. The Rifleman line of scopes were / are identical in every way to the VX-1 models. The only difference is the name, and a bit lower quality packaging. That's it! The same quality and workmanship went into them, and the no B.S. Leupold warranty applied as well.

The Rifleman scopes are / were marketed for shooters on a budget, and the initial offering to the public was through Wal Mart, where the marketing folks believed the shooters on a budget were more likely to shop. They made a big deal that the Rifleman series was the first Leupold scope sold under $200.00. That was a few years ago. They still make them, but I doubt they are still under $200.00.

I get a check from Leupold every month, but I miss the employee discounts.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #5

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Wal Mart has some very nice guns. There's a Marlin 336 at one of the local ones that's Stainless Steel with a heavy barrel I'd love to have even if it does have a synthetic stock (I hate synthetic). It also carries a price tag of 690.00.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Firearm and ammo makers sell their products through Wal Mart, which is just another retail outlet. Wal Mart gets the same quality gun and ammo products as everyone else.
I thought the recently recalled Federal ammo was all from WallyWorld? I also seem to remember reading something about Federal going to small pistol primers for this product that was to be sold only at WallyWorld. It is ENTIRELY possible that i misunderstood.

Some of Wally's wares are not the same item available elsewhere. I wouldn't buy a lawnmower there due to old news about Briggs & Stratton using differently specced engines for their WallyWorld products. I buy lots of stuff at Wally's, just not lawnmowers or some tools and electronics. Wally's is reknowned for haggling suppliers down year after year on price and demanding specific packaging and such; this was key in the Vlasic pickle company troubles http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html . Walmart is a for-profit business, not a charity to look out for the U.S. consumer.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 03-08-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:52 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first 870 I had I got a wally world was junk (but so was the second one that didnt come from there). The Savage 93 17hmr I got from there was also junk. I'm not say it is or isn't true thats just my experiance with walmart guns.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:58 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A few manufacturers indeed make different products for Walmart. They might look the same but the innards aren't. Even electronics, these help them keep their advertised price guarantee ...because you cannot find an exact one anywhere. Chainsaws, & other power tools are also very likely candidates.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #9

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

GFL

The guns and ammo you buy at walmart are the same thing you would get anywhere else. Sorry the cost in retooling an entire plant to suite walmarts ammo needs would not be cost affective. They don't have a million chinese kids with dillon 1050's makin ammo here people. They have massive machines that cost LOTS and LOTS of money to build, buy and operate.

Same with the guns. They may be the ones that barley pass QA go to walmart but they are not going to knowling inferior products on the shelves at walmart.

BTW Target has lower prices that walmart anymore. By about 2 to 3%...

JUST SAYING

Old 03-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

The Federal Ammunition recall was across the board. One of my best friends works for ATK who owns Federal and I had called him when I saw the recall. The recall was issued by Federal/ATK and the only thing involving Wal-Mart was the fact that they also had stocked some of that ammunition. As far as the Rifles and Shotguns sold at Wal-Mart. None are built at reduced quality for Wal-Mart! They may handle some of the companies product line that is the lesser expensive guns.That because of sportsmen hunting for a less expensive rifle like the Remington 770 for example over the Remington 700 CDL. But they are the same weapons sold at the local gun shop.