Buying a collectors M1 Carbine
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Buying a collectors M1 Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 10:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts

Default Buying a collectors M1 Carbine

I sold my inland shooter M1 Carbine today. I think I made out very well and want to put that money towards a collectors, non shooter carbine. Any suggestion on good places to purchase one? I've been looking around but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7324 Times on 3901 Posts
Likes Given: 574

m1 carbines & garands really arent "collectable". reason being there are a LOT of actual issued sets of stamping dies for these guns out there. same is true of most makes of the m1911. LOTS of fakes out there that are indistinguishable from the real deal.

if your looking to purchase firearms with resale value in mind the only real investment guns lay in the full auto nfa world of things.

my advice contact fulton armory and get like new carbine and have fun. it will come with an original usgi reciever and new everything else and look like it was just pulled out of a shipping container from 1943.

if you bought a few in 1982 and sold em now you might have cleared 1000$ a piece. thats around a 5% profit on a 30 year investment. semi autos and non nfa guns have pretty much topped out in value.

now in the nfa world an m16 in 1982 was around 900$ today they sell for around 30,000$ thats around 11% interest. there is no other investment other than machine guns that offer a nearly gauranteed 11% return with zero risk to principal on resale... nfa machine guns will not lose value as there will never be more and demand always increases. each year a few are lost to breakage and an ever increasing number of buyers ensures they will not top out in price

want to invest in something go nfa
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 02-08-2016 at 12:02 AM.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:40 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10736 Times on 5730 Posts
Likes Given: 10488

Jon,

There are a few non NFA that are collectible.

Pre-64 model 70 Super Grade "African" (.375 H&H, .458 WinMag) in NIB or LNIB are very hard to fake and worth a fortune.

1873,1876, 1886 AND 1895 Winchesters in Excellent+ to LNIB

Early S&W 27 and 29, unfired NIB, especially in original presentation case.

But in the general case you're correct. NFA is the best investment by far.
History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur

If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost

Old 02-08-2016, 12:51 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7324 Times on 3901 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Jon,

There are a few non NFA that are collectible.

Pre-64 model 70 Super Grade "African" (.375 H&H, .458 WinMag) in NIB or LNIB are very hard to fake and worth a fortune.

1873,1876, 1886 AND 1895 Winchesters in Excellent+ to LNIB

Early S&W 27 and 29, unfired NIB, especially in original presentation case.

But in the general case you're correct. NFA is the best investment by far.

i was speaking more in terms of milsurps. but even the ones you mention have a very limited appeal and a shrinking customer base. very hard to sell at good prices.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #5

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have to disagree with the idea there no M! carbines that are collectable. The M1A1 Paratrooper is very collectable. With the info out their on correct serial number range and correct markings if one knows what to look for the chance of getting scammed are quite low.

Two good resources are Larry Ruth's book on the M1 Carbine and the Collector Grade book "War Baby"

Last edited by samnev; 02-08-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:00 AM   #6

Default Buying a collectors M1 Carbine

How about a gun that will rise in value over 10-15 years, rather then a collectible gun?

Last edited by Bbull21; 02-09-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:11 AM   #7

Liked 1836 Times on 1230 Posts
Likes Given: 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbull21 View Post
How about a gun that will rise in value over 10-15 years, rather then a collectible gun?
No matter what firearm it is, they all go up in value & if they go illegal they could be worth a mint on the black market !.............

Old 02-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #8

Liked 1000 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 1147

just a couple of quick question on the subject of the M1 carbine.

I would like to have one myself, but just for the enjoyment of shooting it and for plinking, so i'm not looking for a collector grade or even care about it being a numbers matching gun. not even concerned with whether it increases in value in the future or not either.

what brand, and what should be a reasonable price to pay for one?

Old 02-10-2016, 04:12 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I just traded an M1 Garand and an M1 Carbine for an M1A1 Scout (M14) I had to pay a little boot in the trade but both the Garand and the Carbine were Springfields, both issued to the troops back late in WWII and both had seen limited service. Neither were of the rare models... simply standard issued weapons to the troops.

I don't know what either of these guns is bringing in your neck of the woods but around here, you can usually find either, in good working condition for less than $1k. They are not difficult to locate... the gun shop that I often deal with in Richmond, for example, has at least 3 or 4 on their shelves most of the time.

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Old 02-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #10

I just sold my inland with a sanded stock for $950. I have 2 m14's, scout model. I am looking to part with one if anyone is interested.