Buy a CAI M1 Garand?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Buy a CAI M1 Garand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 03:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Buy a CAI M1 Garand?

I need help, at the local Pawn shop I found a CAI M1 Garand for $550. We looked at the parts and they showed little or no wear and the barrel looked clean. The guy who brought it in probably never fired it as this is not the first CAI M1 he has brought in (the manager at the pawn shop said he bought 10 of them years ago and decided to bring them in). The stock doesn't look nice, but I can easily replace it. I need advice whether or not I should get this, before it is bought by someone else.

Thanks for the help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

First off, welcome to the FTF community. When you get a chance, head over to the new member thread and introduce yourself to the gang.

About all I know about CAI Garands is that they have a cast receiver. Personally, I don't care for the idea of a cast receiver. Just my preference.

You can get a real G.I. Garand from CMP for just a bit more money.

I have a '43 Springfield Garand that came from CMP and it's an outstanding rifle. If you can, buy the real deal. You won't regret it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-30-2009, 04:35 AM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Plenty of Garands on CMP So I would go with one of them.

Do a Google search for CAI Garands you will find that most are of questionable quality. form what I read all over the message boards is that I wouldn't own one if I had to.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:18 AM   #4

I've known of several guys on the many gun boards I frequent, and sometimes moderate, who will tell you that they have had great experiences with Century's cast 'Garands'. I have personally known of at least a dozen guys who have had serious, if not catastrophic, problems with these same guns.

Given the small difference in price between Century's gun and the real deal from CMP, I can't suggest doing anything but going through CMP.

Tom

Old 07-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #5

Well, most CAI M1's I read were imported and put together in the U.S., but it could have better parts than others. I figured though that it has probably never been fired, so as long as I take care of the parts, or replace them it will still be in the end a good buy.

If you could tell me some of the problems they've had that'll be great.

Thanks for the help.

Tags
m1 garand cai