Bump Fire Legality - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bump Fire Legality

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 02:58 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I try to call ahead to the shooting ranges I will be going to, and ask them if they allow machineguns to be fired on their range. Most of them here in Indiana do allow Sub-machineguns. When I am on the range shooting my RRA AR15 9MM SBR I have a few people come up to me and asked what kind of machinegun is that? When I tell them I was bump firing, the people who know what that is are speechless. The people who don't know are like what is bump firing?

To answer your question yes bump firing is legal.....for now, untill the BATF finds away to ban a shooting technique. The BATF's FTB (Firearms Technology Branch) defines bump fire to mean "Rapid manual trigger manipulation to simulate fully automatic fire. As long as "YOU" conciously pull the trigger for every round fired of the bump fire operation you are simply operation a semi-auto firearm in a rapid manner.

The so called shoe string method is illegal only because some wise ass decided to construct a 14" piece of string with a key ring at one end. Then he add a 1" metal crimp to the middle of the string where the serial number was added. This person submitted this to the BATF as a form 1 build as a Class 2 manufacture for LEO or Dealer Sample. This device only works with the Ruger Mini 14 or a Springfield M1A1.

Alot of you have seen my videos on youtube of me bump firing my RRA AR15
9MM SBR from the shoulder, using a rubber band. The rubber band is optional, no device is nessasary to be able to bump fire. It does make it easier to do. Bump firing can be done as long as the firearm has some degree of felt recoil, and a relatively short, lite trigger pull. I conjoured up the idea of using a rubber band after purchasing one of the Hellfire trigger gadgets. The hellfire device or a rubber band act as a external trigger return spring and does not change the function of the gun. Most people who purchased one of the hellfire devices install them on their gun and expect to be able to just pull the trigger and the mag to empty. Then they throw it away cause it didnt work. I have to say that they do work on guns that can already be bump fired.

Who needs a machine gun, when you can just learn to bump fire from the shoulder!

www.Poormans-Machinegun.com

Old 08-19-2007, 11:33 PM   #22
LEO

I have seen your videos... It does look like full auto and I completely understand the concept.

Not sure you can ever ban it unless they change the law to state "Any manipulation that causes the weapon to fire multiple rounds at a rate which is faster than when done manually."

I will have to give it a try one day. I have a RRA .223 and need to convert to a SBR. I like the look better.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:04 AM   #23

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd hate to rain on the parade, but doesn't this practice affect accuracy just a bit?

If the idea of firing a weapon is hitting what you point at, then what's wrong with ordinary rapid fire while keeping your target in your sights?

Other than burning ammo at $50-$100 a minute or more and making a really cool noise, what's the point here?

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 08-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #24
LEO

Absolutely!

The rifle is going to free float and your point of aim is only in the general direction of the target.

Burning up ammo?? Ya.. but you do not do it all the time and that is the price of entertainment.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #25

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default right again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO View Post
Absolutely!

The rifle is going to free float and your point of aim is only in the general direction of the target.

Burning up ammo?? Ya.. but you do not do it all the time and that is the price of entertainment.
Point taken. I confess I've always wanted to see what a subgun in full-auto fire felt like in the hand...

Speaking of which, I would think that a REAL Class III weapon would be more accurate in full-auto fire, since one can keep a good grip on the gun. Is true?

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 08-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #26
LEO

Correct.

In any shooting activity... you need "gun control" The good kind...! Firm grip for excellent shot placement.

Any sub gun you fire will have a little vertical climb... but you can hit your target consistently. You can also stop, adjust your aim, and fire again. If you hold it just right... you can control that climb enough to empty your mag.

You can rent a class III gun at some gun ranges. Check the phone book and call around. You have to try it some time... Fun to do and something to talk about with your friends.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:27 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

With practice one can obtain a reasonable amount of accuracy with bumpfiring. The act of doing so however is only entertainment, and lacks any real world value. Honestly anything that fires full auto from a magazine is fairly useless (with the exception of subguns for entry teams).

Old 09-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #28

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Personally I would not be comfortable being around anyone involved in firing a gun in this manner. A shoulder fired weapon is meant to be fired with both hands firmly gripping it in the proper place while being held in the proper manner. Having a single hand grasping the forend with the butt of the gun resting uncaptivated against the front of the upper thigh while the trigger finger rattles around inside the trigger guard while the weapon is discharging at a rapid, uncontrolled rate, isn't safe in my book, and borders on foolish. All this does is allow a semi automatic weapon to be fired in a manner it was not designed for. It proves nothing other than the fact it can be done to serve no useful purpose. It ranks right up there with firing a pistol, while holding it sideways. A dumb way to impress foolish young girls who don't know any better and think it "looks cool". I'm sure Paris Hilton would approve. Bill T.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:24 AM   #29

With the bump fire u just need time t make it safe u need experience as with any tool time and skill will apply !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #30

Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

It strikes me that one doesn't neccesairly have to release the firing hand if one has taken the time to properly adjust the trigger AND has taken the time to read/study/apply Ed McGivern's book "Fast & Fancy revolver Shooting", the rubber band just makes it a whole lot easier to empty a full magazine out of a Calico M110P

Closed Thread