Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bump Fire Legality

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 06:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO View Post
Bump firing done from the hip with a finger worked into the belt loop
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/415001/bump_firing_a_ak47/

Bump Firing with a thick ruber band - Excellent!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVfwFP_RwTQ

ATF Definition:
The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

I can see bump firing as being a machine gun. You cycle the trigger one time and it keeps shooting to the mag runs dry or you do something to stop the recoil. So even if the "item" is not banned... such as a "rubber band".... it is now a machine gun as far as the definition goes.
Any way you shoot it, unless there is a mechanical failure, or the disconnecter has been removed, (very illegal) a semi auto only fires, and can only fire, ONCE each time the trigger is pulled. The shoestring, rubber band, Gatling gun crank, etc. may make it fast(er), but the trigger is still being pulled for each and every shot. Therefore, it is by definition, not a machinegun, since it is not a "single function of the trigger."

Oh yea, and it is a great waste and expense of ammo.

Gun Control is a MUST! If you cannot control your gun get one you CAN!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Bump firing is fun to do every once and a great while if done safely. Some of us can't have real full autos do to location, or not being able to spend $15k -$20k on a real M16, MP5, AK ect. FWIW the ATF declared the shoestring trick illegal (but its pretty hard to enforce that one). I probably have only bumped out 2 or three mags in the last few years and every time I made sure I was on my own property in a ravine surrounded by hills and trees. I would never do it on a open range or anywhere else where the safety of others would be in question.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
It is illegal and you must have registered the shoestring before 19 may 1986... Sorry!!!
Doggone!

So if I own a semiauto with a cocking handle and also own a piece of string, does that imply constructive intent?

Old 07-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #14
LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Doggone!

So if I own a semi-auto with a cocking handle and also own a piece of string, does that imply constructive intent?
According to the ATF.... Just having the parts can get you in trouble. So be sure to where Velcro closure shoes and do not carry a key ring.

I could not find any ATF ruling on Bump firing...

IMO.... It is plausible to be charged with MG possession it caught firing it like a full auto by adding any foreign items to it. Semi Auto is meant to be one shot at a time with an "expected" break between shots.

Bump Firing (using your beltloop) is nothing more than pulling the trigger real fast and this would be hard to convict on.

Last edited by LEO; 07-09-2007 at 12:40 AM.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2550 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Bump firing

I disagree. The trigger is still being pulled for each shot. The devices like the Hell fire are specifcally LEGAL primarily because they do not work.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #16
LEO

The trigger is being pulled each time... but by a shoestring device.

There was no modification made to the gun... except the adding of a foreign item to assist in pulling the trigger.

The ATF has deemed this a MG. I am confident that the ATF will work on banning any items that you physically add to the gun to cause it to successfully fire faster than can be done manually by man. Such as the rubber band trick. By the way.. that was so cool.

Bump Firing... when truly done by pulling the trigger alone with no additives... I do not see as ever being illegal. You might get a visit.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #17

It seems that the way things are being looked at now, is not really the single pull of the trigger, which technically the semi with the string or whatever method is used, because yes the as the bolt slams home it is pulling the string to pull the trigger for the next shot. However it appears with the lawsuits that have been thru now, The folks in the ruling are saying it is NOT a single pull of the trigger they interpet but rather a single MOVEMENT of the finger is what is being the arguement point for making a weapon fire more than one shot per cycle. Just look at the ruling on the Atkins Accelerator suits with the ATF for example. Theres was first ruled as NOT a machinegun but now the ATF has backed up and ruled that it IS considered a machinegun, mainly cause the trigger finger only moves 1 time. At least that was the way I understood it and may be wrong for that.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
LEO

The ATF Appears to have changed their mind and now allow it.

atf.pdf

Last edited by LEO; 07-21-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:31 AM   #19

Quote:

atf.pdf
Yeah, well, they pretty much make crap up as they go along. And they use intimidation to get away with it. As an agency, it's not exactly a characteristic of what you would expect in a free country. But then, about 75% of the federal government would fall under the same characterization.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:16 AM   #20

Quote:

atf.pdf
well heck! I think it is great that the ATF has determined that a 14 inch piece of string, with or without loops on the end(s) is not in and of itself a MACHINEGUN!!

Just think of how many people are walking around with 14 inch boot/shoe laces on their shoes that are no longer subject to arrest for having TWO machineguns in the bank, school or other place they are not allowed to have a "weapon"...

Gun Control is a MUST! If you cannot control your gun get one you CAN!

Closed Thread