Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > bullet explodes coming out of barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
Next time around we won't be buying those bullets with the plastic tips but at the time it was the only ones we could find during the peak of the shortage.
NP It won't shed its skin till it's out of the barrel. If it happens again. Just don't bet your life on them.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

We put well over 20,000 rounds of Hornady down range at Camp Perry loosing about one in fifty and it wasn't a safety concern... Although it was darn aggravating.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

It is not a fast light bullet that causes this. It is a THIN JACKETED bullet spun too fast that will do that. "Match" or "Varmint" type bullets in fast twist barrels, shot close to max velocity will give the gray "puff" about 15 feet from the muzzle. Handloaders can reduce the load to about 3000 fps and overcome this.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #14

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
It is not a fast light bullet that causes this. It is a THIN JACKETED bullet spun too fast that will do that. "Match" or "Varmint" type bullets in fast twist barrels, shot close to max velocity will give the gray "puff" about 15 feet from the muzzle. Handloaders can reduce the load to about 3000 fps and overcome this.
What he said, the bullet is not defective, the ammo is fine. Please don;t go bugging the manufacturer. You were trying to shoot ammo that is not really suitable for the gun. I can just about guarantee the barrel is stamped 1:8 or 1:7. That barrel is meant for heavier weight/heavier jacketed ammo. Buy the right ammo for your gun and you'll be fine.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

IMO any bullet labeled tactical should be able to handle 1 in 7 since that is the mil spec twist rate I would contact federal about it.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #16

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I agree. What are the odds of someone NOT putting those rounds in a 1:7 to 1:9 twist barrel? I'd say it's a virtual impossibility. There was a defect in the bullet is stll my opinion unless there's something we don't know!?

Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Pfffffffffffffffft! Silly squirrel guns shred their own bullets, LOL!

Never have that problem with an SKS.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #18

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpowerguy View Post
IMO any bullet labeled tactical should be able to handle 1 in 7 since that is the mil spec twist rate I would contact federal about it.
The bullet is not labeled tactical, the ammo is. That ammo is just designed to work well in short M4 barrels (14.5") and SBRs with 7"-11.5" barrels. The kind of gun you'd normaly find in a CQ encounter. You put this sucker in longer barrels where it has the room to gain full speed and you will have trouble. It is a thin jacket varmint design specially made to shed it's jacket and self destruct. It really can't handle the HIGH RPMs a fast twist puts on it. I've had that problem before with some of my ARs but never with my 10.5" SBR. Changed ammo and it's gone. LE Only Gold Dots in the 64 gr. range work really well out of fast twist guns fo SD.

BTW I actually agree that it is silly for Federal to be marketing this bullet as Tactical without some sort of warning.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #19

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor
They only problem with that is we shot all the other bullets that were in the same box. He does have about 300 more rounds of that brand though.
What is the bullet weight and what is the barrel twist rate?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor
This has me worried. Today we took our guns out to the desert to sight them in. My father in law started first with his AR15 shooting at 25 yards. It shot two times and on the 3rd shot the bullet either exploded in flight or as it came out of the barrel. On the target you can see where the fragments hit the target. No he didn't hit the dirt in front of the target. He said it just sounded funny when he shot it. I checked out the barrel and ran a patch down it to see if any thing was left in the barrel but it came out clean. The empty brass didn't show any bad signs either. I've never seen this before so I'm posting pics of the target and the ammo. This was the only round that did this, the rest were fine. What do you guys think?
If you split a hair fine enough your bound to find a slice you like. Notice that the OP didn't mention his barrel length but I'd be willing to lay 5 bucks down on it being a 16". That's only and inch and a half from your 14.5 which is somewhere in the ball park of 50 fps worth of average muzzle velocity. If the ammo is loaded to 3,050 fps from a 14.5 inch barrel it be spinning at 313,714 rpms. If it leaves the muzzle at 3100 fps it will spin at 318,857 rpms which represents an increase of only 1.6% in the rate of rotation. Even if you doubled this to 3% I don't think you could justify a bullet loosing its structural integrity, especially since standard deviation in SBR's regularly exceed 80 fps. So I stand by my previous statement that I would call federal and complain and feel justified doing so.

Last edited by highpowerguy; 04-24-2013 at 11:14 PM.