Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Built my 6.5 Creedmoor today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1155 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 556

Default Built my 6.5 Creedmoor today

I ordered a Savage Stainless Varmint action from Northland Shooters Supply last week.It arrived,so I went to my dealer today and picked it up. I've had my E.R.Shaw 26" Varmint contour barrel setting around for a few months,and wanted to get it together.
The Varmint action has the same trigger as the Target action,a 1.5lb Accutrigger. I like a lite trigger pull for my target/long range rifles,and this should work just fine for me.It also comes with the bottom metal and 4 rd magazine.
I also bought a Northland trued barrel nut,and a SSS .250 precision recoil lug.

Here's another parts pic with the barrel-

Since I haven't decided on which stock I'm going to buy for this rifle,I'm just going to borrow the Choate tactical stock from my Savage 10FCP 308.
I'm planning on getting a Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x56 scope for this gun,but I'll just use the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 MOA-2 scope from the 10FCP also.

After checking and cleaning all of the threads on the Action/Barrel/and Barrel Nut,I screwed the barrel nut on the barrel,put on the recoil lug,and screwed the barrel onto the action. I then insert the Go gauge into the chamber,and close the bolt.Then screw the barrel down by hand until it stops,and screw the barrel nut hand tight on the action.
Open and close the bolt a couple times,and make sure that the headspace is good to go. Then I wrap the action with painters tape,and install the Action Wrench.

Continued-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

On the newer Savage Centerfeed actions,you have to modify the Action wrench or you will damage the barrel nut when you tighten it against the recoil lug.
It's a simple process,just take a round file and make a notch on the cap of the action wrench where the detent is on the recoil lug.

Once you get the action wrench tight on the action,install the barrel nut wrench over the barrel,and make sure your using the correct end of the wrench.There's a squared lug end,and a round lug end.
Tighten the barrel nut by hand until tight,Then open/close the bolt,checking the headspace again. Then take a rubber mallet and hit the wrench a couple times,and you don't need to over do it.

I will then do a final check on the headspace using the Go and No-Go gauges.

With the Go gauge,the bolt will close all the way,and have a little bit of resistance/pressure while being closed

Continued-

Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

With the No-Go gauge,the bolt will not close.

After everything was checked and OK,I then took the scope/rings off the 10FCP,and then took the barreled action out of the Choate Tactical stock.
Then I installed the 6.5 Creedmoor barreled/action into the stock and torqued the action down.
I then installed a Weaver 20moa 1pc rail onto the action.

Continued-

Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I then mounted the Sightron SIII and Burris Signature Zee rings on the rail.

I think it took me about 45 minutes to do this entire rifle,all I have left to do is boresight the scope,mount my dies in a turret plate,and get some ammo loaded for this thing.Then go see if it's going to shoot as good as I hope it does.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's am awesome looking rifle there tex. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.