Building Your own M16/M4 Lower Receiver
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Building Your own M16/M4 Lower Receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Building Your own M16/M4 Lower Receiver

I found this - PSA AR-15/M16/M4 Ultimate Lower Parts Kit w/ Magpul, Mil-Spec. - kit for a lower receiver for a M4. I was wondering what you guys thought of this kit. What would be a good Upper Receiver to match it, I wanna go with 5.56mm. And Also, how hard is it to actually build a AR-15 from a kit. I've never built a gun before, so this would be my first, so I was hoping for some hints and tips on getting started, if I do decide to do this. And if anyone who's done it, good give me some details on their experience building an AR-15 from a kit.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #2

I also just found this complete kit, for the Lower and Upper receiver for a 5.56 AR-15. Any thoughts on this one as well ?

and how do I tell if this kit would make a M16 style or M4 style. As far as I kno, the only difference between the M16 and M4 is The barrel, and Gas system (I believe the M16 uses a Gas Piston system and the M4 uses direct impingement, correct me if I am wrong tho please). That's the only differences I kno of for the civilian model. I know another difference for the military version is that the M16 only does Semi-Auto and 3-Round Burst, as where the M4 does Semi and Full

DPMS Oracle Rifle Kit Less Lower Receiver 5.56

EDIT - Apparently its not complete, it doesn't have the lower Receiver. what would be a good, but not to expensive lower Receiver to match this kit ?

Last edited by Fates_Enemy; 10-26-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

There are "subtle differences" between a civilian legal AR-15 lower receiver and a BAFTE CONTROLLED M-16 or M-4 receiver, most notably everything having to do with the term "Auto" and "Sear"

I would not recommend trying to "build an M16 or M4" in the privacy of your garage as the folks at the BATFE are not known for their sense of humor on such issues.

Assembling a legal AR-15 lower receiver into a working unit is very easy. Take a look at the AR section of this forum and look at some of the builds that people have done and documented.

JD

Old 10-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
There are "subtle differences" between a civilian legal AR-15 lower receiver and a BAFTE CONTROLLED M-16 or M-4 receiver, most notably everything having to do with the term "Auto" and "Sear"

I would not recommend trying to "build an M16 or M4" in the privacy of your garage as the folks at the BATFE are not known for their sense of humor on such issues.

Assembling a legal AR-15 lower receiver into a working unit is very easy. Take a look at the AR section of this forum and look at some of the builds that people have done and documented.

JD
So I can buy a Fully Automatic Short-Barreled M4 (one that has like the military style 14.5" barrel) form a Class III Dealer (after doing the paperwork and paying the transfer tax, etc etc)but I can't build my own Full-Auto, Short-Barreled rifle on my own. But I am assuming if I become a Class III license holder, then there would be no problem, correct ?

Which Speaking off Barrels, I have always wondered what the benefits and purpose of a free-floating barrel, as opposed to a fixed barrel. I've looked it up and found some random, info, but I hear different from different people, but nothing that really explained the actually benefits and purpose of it in detail and showed the facts, not just the opinions of two dudes arguing over it online (that's what happened at the first Gun Forums I joined a few weeks back, and everyone just argued over what they thought was better and what they thought the benefits and purpose of a free floating barrel is lol)

Old 10-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fates_Enemy View Post
So I can buy a Fully Automatic Short-Barreled M4 (one that has like the military style 14.5" barrel) form a Class III Dealer (after doing the paperwork and paying the transfer tax, etc etc)but I can't build my own Full-Auto, Short-Barreled rifle on my own. But I am assuming if I become a Class III license holder, then there would be no problem, correct ?

Which Speaking off Barrels, I have always wondered what the benefits and purpose of a free-floating barrel, as opposed to a fixed barrel. I've looked it up and found some random, info, but I hear different from different people, but nothing that really explained the actually benefits and purpose of it in detail and showed the facts, not just the opinions of two dudes arguing over it online (that's what happened at the first Gun Forums I joined a few weeks back, and everyone just argued over what they thought was better and what they thought the benefits and purpose of a free floating barrel is lol)
i don't know all the legal aspects of building a fully auto rifle, but a call to the BATF would probably be your best bet in knowing exactly what was legal and what isn't.

free floating the barrel means that the hand guards are not putting any pressure on the barrel, therefore increasing the accuracy. very similar to glass bedding a barreled action in a stock. i don't know all the technical aspects of it, but understand the theory, when a bullet is fired, a barrel will vibrate or ocsillate when the bullet travels down the barrel. anything that puts pressure on the barrel can change the point of impact. every gun is going to be different, just as changing ammo can change point of impact as bullet weight and burn rates of powder will change these vibration rates. some rifles have even been proven to be more accurate with a small amount of pressure added to the stock at the fore end. like i said, every rifle is going to be different. barrel length and diameter are also factors to be considered, as the a longer thinner barrel will vibrate more than a shorter thicker barrel. but some calibers and ammo need more barrel length to be able to complete powder burn and to stabilize the bullet. this why some very long range shooters use very long heavy barrels to help with the barrels vibration. now add in fluting and it's effect on barrel rigidity, aid in cooling, and also to reduce some weight of a heavier barrel. now all that said, if you were to fire the gun fully auto, pretty much most of this null and void as far as accuracy. now i'm not saying that they can't be accurate, as many fully auto weapons fired semi auto have been proven very accurate, just that when fired fully auto, you have lots of moving parts that can change the point of impact.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i don't know all the legal aspects of building a fully auto rifle, but a call to the BATF would probably be your best bet in knowing exactly what was legal and what isn't.

free floating the barrel means that the hand guards are not putting any pressure on the barrel, therefore increasing the accuracy. very similar to glass bedding a barreled action in a stock. i don't know all the technical aspects of it, but understand the theory, when a bullet is fired, a barrel will vibrate or ocsillate when the bullet travels down the barrel. anything that puts pressure on the barrel can change the point of impact. every gun is going to be different, just as changing ammo can change point of impact as bullet weight and burn rates of powder will change these vibration rates. some rifles have even been proven to be more accurate with a small amount of pressure added to the stock at the fore end. like i said, every rifle is going to be different. barrel length and diameter are also factors to be considered, as the a longer thinner barrel will vibrate more than a shorter thicker barrel. but some calibers and ammo need more barrel length to be able to complete powder burn and to stabilize the bullet. this why some very long range shooters use very long heavy barrels to help with the barrels vibration. now add in fluting and it's effect on barrel rigidity, aid in cooling, and also to reduce some weight of a heavier barrel. now all that said, if you were to fire the gun fully auto, pretty much most of this null and void as far as accuracy. now i'm not saying that they can't be accurate, as many fully auto weapons fired semi auto have been proven very accurate, just that when fired fully auto, you have lots of moving parts that can change the point of impact.
Yea, I got what Free-Floating was, I just didn't get what the benefits and stuff were. Thank's for the info bro, that helped a lot, been doing some more research on it, and I can definitely see where Free floating the barrel on an AR is definitely a benefit, but I can also see where not free-floating it is a benefit to. Some of it is just gonna be personal preference, as well as depending on the barrel and ammo used, whether or not its better to free float the barrel or not. And as you said, every rifle is going to be different. So some rifles it would be good to do it on and some it would be better not to. One thing that is consistent, no matter what rifle you are using tho, is the fact that a free-floating barrel makes any AR look even sexier! lol.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I believe that even with a Class III license, you have to have a Class III manufacturers license as well. Call the BATF and ask them Their web address ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Their contact information:

99 New York Avenue, NE
Washington, DC20226USA
Voice (202) 648-7080

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #8

Anything post 1986 can't be fully automatic and civilian owned. Unless you are a dealer. But, if your kit is pre-1986 (which it could be if it's a m16, but couldn't for an m4) then it should be okay, but I would definitely still check.

Need some great gear or ammunition for your gun? Check it out: http://www.strikehardgear.com/