building a new bench rest gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > building a new bench rest gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default building a new bench rest gun

I recently read a article at www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/7mm/ which compares different 7mm cartridges I like what it has to say about the 7mm short actin ultra mag, but would like to get an opinion from others of which cartridge would be best at around 1000 yards? I would also like to know how long of a barrel to
get I plan on getting one from Krieger barrels.and what twist would be recommend for the cartridge of choice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well i just want to follow along this thread and see what information comes about. personally i have become a fan of the 7mm caliber and have three different types of 7mm rifles, a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08, a Remington M700 in 7mm Rem. Mag. and a Ruger M77V in 280 Rem. all are excellent as far as accuracy.

your barrel twist ratio is going to be dependent on the weight of bullets you want to use. the weight of the bullets will have to be decided from what cartridge you decide upon using. lots of variables to give consideration to.

custom barrel is a definate thing for sure. what action have decided on using? what about scopes? longer ranges like a 1000 yards, high-end optics are pretty sure thing.

pretty interested in how this shapes up, so post more information and questions.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

As far as bullet weight I want to use the 168 or 180 burger bullets.as far as the action goes I'm going to start out with a Remington 700. When it comes to optics I'm debating between Leupold mark 4 lr/t and the nightforce benchrest.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

The 284 Winchester is a good choice and so is the 7mm SAUM. I have built long range target rifles in 7mm-08, 7x57, 284, 280, 280AI, and 7mm Rem. I am currently planning a 7x57 and will limit myself to 162-168 grain bullets. As long as I can reach about 2700 fps, I'm satisfied and I can do this with the 7x57. If I wanted to use 180's I would build a SAUM. GD

Old 09-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #5

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I myself would go with the 284. That way if you choose to switch later on the bolt face is still .473" so you have all the 308/30-06 cartridges to pick from with out any mods to the bolt.

For glass I would look at Nightforce or Denon's March scopes with Leupold bringing in the broze about 10 minutes behind.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #6

Liked 279 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Instead of starting off building a rifle with a gunsmith you may have yet to find how about starting with a quality and competitive rifle . I guess you also have to buy reloading equipment, rifle rest also.

The 7mm short fat mag can also be harder on the barrels and the shooters when compared to some of the smaller cap 6.5 and 6mm cartidges. Know that its much more about the shooter than the cartidge used.

You could use one of the mid sized 6.5mm cartidges like the 6.5 creedmoor or the 260rem and shoot with anyone or a 6mm/ 243 and 243AI and shoot with the big boys out to 1000 yards. Building the rifle can also take you many months and you need to find a great gun smith ,not the average comunty collage local smithy.
http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

You could buy a savage arms model 12 like the F-class or F/tr and compete or the LRP and get into a enter level class light bench rifle of 11lbs and start learning and bring your skill level come up and a when the barrel does need changeing then buy a higher quality match grade barrel for it. BUT these factory savage target class rifle can shoot 1/4"moa with handloads and 1/2" moa with factory ammo.

Now some of the guys that are world class shooters also build full on customs for what some can say is a bargan price!!

Last edited by hardluk1; 09-27-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6344 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 5923

If I was building a 1000 yard benchrest rifle, it would be a .338 LaPua. At least a 28 inch barrel.

Many years ago, 7MM fans had some 1000 yard success with the 7MM-.300 Weatherby.

Custom made very heavy bullets, IIRC.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
I recently read a article at www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/7mm/ which compares different 7mm cartridges I like what it has to say about the 7mm short actin ultra mag, but would like to get an opinion from others of which cartridge would be best at around 1000 yards? I would also like to know how long of a barrel to get. I plan on getting one from Krieger barrels.and what twist would be recommend for the cartridge of choice. As far as bullet weight I want to use the 168 or 180 burger bullets.as far as the action goes I'm going to start out with a Remington 700. When it comes to optics I'm debating between Leupold mark 4 lr/t and the nightforce benchrest.
There's really no "right" answer. I shot with Steve Ikeda, referenced in the article above, and he did very good with his 7RSAUM. I've read the US F-Class team is also using that round. A lot of guys are using and winning with the straight .284 as well. I shoot the .284 Shehane (among others) at
1K which allows the use of Lapua brass, a .473 boltface, a little more velocity than the std. .284 and very accurate to boot.

I have both 1-8.5" and 1-9" twist barrels on my .284 Shehanes (4 rifles). They will all shoot 162-180 grain bullets (I live/shoot at ~300' ASL). My lightguns have 28" barrels solely for weight concerns. My heavygun has 30" barrels in a barrel block. Many F-class shooters use up to 32" barrels. If you're gonna use a Remington action, talk to your gunsmith about how long/heavy of a barrel you want to hang off that action.

Not a big fan of the Leupold's. They don't have a high enough power variable for my liking and I personally know of (4) 8.5-25's that have died during a match (and there aren't that many on the line to begin with). Many BR shooters are using Nightforce, March and Sightron SIII's.

All that being said, if it's not too windy out, I will grab one of my 6mm Dasher's. I think it's inherently more accurate but, I'm not great at reading the wind and 7mm is much more forgiving in that regard. The Dasher currently holds several NBRSA records.

-Rick

Unbiased Barnard, BAT, Kelbly, Nesika Bay x2, Remington x3, Browning, Marsh, Ruger x2, Savage x3, UltraLight Arms, AR15 x3 owner. I like 'em all.

gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 09-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #9

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I would have to go with a wildcat 50 cal bullet. anything smaller would be so vulnerable to the wind you would have to have 4 people judging the wind for you. Only one of rhe longest recorded sniper shots was made with a 308. the 338 has made a few but the 50 cal dominates the rest. Really you can't go much beyond the barrett recoil would be so heavy the gun would have to be mounted.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 09-28-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #10

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

338 Laupa and 50 cals 4 people judging wind. You can there who the keyboard commandos are an who are shooting the real deal.

I have spent time with a US F-Class Team member and a Remington Shooter. Also seen a 14 year old girl shooting a 243 Rem 700 with a 28" barrel and winning at 1k.

Shooting 1k is not buying a $3k gun putting $2500 scope on it buying the most expensive brass and bullets and winning. It is time and money. You have to put your time in on the range or your not going to be doing anything but sprayin and prayin.