Budget Semi auto defense rifle - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Budget Semi auto defense rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 03:58 AM   #51
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1367 Times on 760 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
If you are looking for a "defensive" weapon, semi-automatic rifles should not be your first choice. How about a pump shot-gun or a revolver? Or one each for the cost of an AR? If you are out of pistol or shotgun range there may be better options, such as cell phones or concealment.

Rifles have ways of sending rounds places you might not rather them go; especially under high stress situations.
You want someone who has physical disabilities to use a pump shotgun?

The revolver makes a lot of sense and it's more useful in a wider variety of situations, but I'd think any lightweight AR would be easier to use than a pump shotgun if you had any sort of limb or mobility impairment.

The AR has a 30 round magazine, you can hold a lightweight AR up with one hand, and it doesn't take much force to charge, clear, or feed it.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-14-2014, 04:18 AM   #52

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
You want someone who has physical disabilities to use a pump shotgun?

The revolver makes a lot of sense and it's more useful in a wider variety of situations, but I'd think any lightweight AR would be easier to use than a pump shotgun if you had any sort of limb or mobility impairment.

The AR has a 30 round magazine, you can hold a lightweight AR up with one hand, and it doesn't take much force to charge, clear, or feed it.
He knows if he can handle a pump and needs no advice from the peanut gallery. He is a veteran and knows the ins and outs of the M16. I don't know if things have changed over the years, but at one point to get out of the first phase of boot camp every soldier had to be able to field strip an M16 and reassemble it in two minutes or less.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:27 PM   #53

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Well, I went and bought a partially converted Saiga AK 74 5.45X39 - I got it for $500 with tax - I took it home and tore it apart - boy am I glad I did - it looked like someone had rolled around on the beach with the rifle - sand was everywhere including in the barrel so I cleaned it up as best I could - and ran rod down the bore and fired about 40 rds with it - man did it get hot! It shot well for 25 yds off hand and I got an extra magazine with it and so I am pretty happy with it - need to get some advice or sources to get rid of this darned Saiga forearm it is a pain in the ass to get off and on

Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #54

Liked 392 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I remember that Ruger mfg a PC4 .40 s&w cal carbine
Marlin camp carbine in .45acp and 9mm (camp 9)
High Point 995 and 945 carbines.
Taurus model CT45G2
Masterpiece Arms .45 acp carbine (.45 mac spinoff)

Old 06-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #55

Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Recently sold an SKS and 1k rounds for 400 bucks, if you can find a similar deal I would go that way. Nothing wrong with them I just had too many favorites to hang on to it.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #56

Liked 217 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 305

Anyone have ballistic data between 556 and 545? I know I can look it up, but I'm a bit busy at the moment.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #57
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
He knows if he can handle a pump and needs no advice from the peanut gallery. He is a veteran and knows the ins and outs of the M16. I don't know if things have changed over the years, but at one point to get out of the first phase of boot camp every soldier had to be able to field strip an M16 and reassemble it in two minutes or less.
not necessarily. he may be a veteran, but it would depend on when he served and in which branch of the military he served in, and what job he going to be trained in after boot camp.

my father went through boot camp in the Air Force in the early 1960's and the rifle he used for training was the M1 carbine and they also used a 38 Spl. revolver for pistol training.

i thought it odd myself about the pistol but not the rifle due to the time period he was in the Air Force, and even asked him if he was sure about not using a 1911a1. he said they spent one day on the range firing the M1 Carbine and the revolver and he never fired another firearm again his entire service career.

so it's not impossible for someone being a veteran, depending on their age, what branch or job description they had to not ever have put hands on a M16. i am pretty sure it might have been similiar in other branches of the military, with the exception of the Marine Corps.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #58
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Budget Semi auto defense rifle

We had the M16A1C(training Semi Auto Only) In August of 1979 at ft. Dix NJ, but that was everyone. My entire Company were not future enlisted, but all future Warrant officers. Back then the WOCS didn't exist as it does now. You did not become a "candidate" until you passed Basic. Then after basic(8 weeks) you went to Ft. Gordon Ga. or Ft. Rucker AL for Warrant officer school, and then on Your way you went to your "skill" school, Which I wound up at RUCKER anyway for Flight school.
As for other weapons, we didn't get to pistols until the 3rd of 8 weeks of WOCS, and we started with S&W & Colt .38Sp's. Folks who did well with that were given the opp. to "qualify" with the 1911....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 06-19-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #59

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I was in Security Police/Forces squadrons on active duty or Civil Engineering Squadrons in Reserves. My service dates lasted from 1984 to 2004

I qualified with or fired expert with the following weapons - . M60, M16, GAU5a (M4) M9 and Model 15 38 spl revolver.

As I said - I found a partially converted Saiga/Ishmash 5.45X39 rifle and it shoots well - I need to get mags and ammo for it because it blew most of my budget with initial purpose although I still have 60 rds for it - and I am busy trying to figure out how to convert the rest of the gun - adding AK style handguards and upper gas tube/handguards and adding a AK style muzzle brake - but those will be done as time and money allows as the gun fires and functions fine in it's current configuration

Thanks again for the tips

Old 03-24-2015, 11:48 PM   #60

Liked 63 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Default home defense

Shotgun first, it ain't sexy but it gets the job done.

If recoil is your issue get a 20 guage.