Budget Rifle Help!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Budget Rifle Help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

the only Remington bolt action rifle for $379 is the M770 which is poor excuse for a rifle and definately not one for any type of accurate target shooting. the cheapest M700 is going to run at least $650 or better.

if you want to find out the real truth about the M770, just Google it or search this forum here for many informative opinions about them.

i had one several years ago, and the M770 is pure junk. sloopy and binding bolt, heavy and gritty trigger, cheap stock, yes, pure junk. and i like Remingtons, as i own many of them, but refuse to ever own another M770.

want an accurate well built bolt action in 308? check out the Marlin XS7VH in 308. 26" heavy barrel, adjustable trigger, pillar bedded stock. MSRP of about $375. doubt you you will find a decent and accurate bolt action for less than $300 new. even the Axis is over $300 new.
Hey bubba I know what your saying, I will not go with the Rem 770, I've heard nothing but crap about it and people say all the 770 is, is the rebuilt over 710 which was junk too. I live in Texas and I just held a brand new 700 bolt action .308 with the X-Mark trigger and it was $379! I also looked at the Savage axis .308 and it was $269. The mossberg ATR 100 .308 was $299 with a 3-9x40 scope which I know is not really a great scope but it has a flutted barrel with a LBA adjustable trigger and free floated barrel. Compared to the M700 action the only two I played with so far in my price range was the savage & mossberg that felt just as good as the M700. I even asked the guy if that was the right prices on those rifles. Oh and I also looked at the new Ruger All American but it was the same price as the 700.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostileSigPro40

Hey bubba I know what your saying, I will not go with the Rem 770, I've heard nothing but crap about it and people say all the 770 is, is the rebuilt over 710 which was junk too. I live in Texas and I just held a brand new 700 bolt action .308 with the X-Mark trigger and it was $379! I also looked at the Savage axis .308 and it was $269. The mossberg ATR 100 .308 was $299 with a 3-9x40 scope which I know is not really a great scope but it has a flutted barrel with a LBA adjustable trigger and free floated barrel. Compared to the M700 action the only two I played with so far in my price range was the savage & mossberg that felt just as good as the M700. I even asked the guy if that was the right prices on those rifles. Oh and I also looked at the new Ruger All American but it was the same price as the 700.
Oh and do you have a picture of this marlin? I never even thought about looking at them.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildone72
I am in the same boat when it comes to ex wife. Lol. I got the Savage Axis 308 to replace my old great Rem700 308. Same reason Savage makes good weapons and it is a good budget gun. So far I am happy with it but have not done any long range as of yet.
Isn't it funny how the ex-wife's know how to hit us hard. Mine was the problem not me and she's the one that was unfaithful but damn it if she doesn't go after my hard work and prize possessions which were my guns and my 4 wheeler and side by side. The only guns she didn't get was my old ones that were passed down to me from my great grandpa and my grandpa and parents. That's because my parents took those back from me until after the divorce so she wouldn't get them. Lol

Old 07-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

the only Remington bolt action rifle for $379 is the M770 which is poor excuse for a rifle and definately not one for any type of accurate target shooting. the cheapest M700 is going to run at least $650 or better.

if you want to find out the real truth about the M770, just Google it or search this forum here for many informative opinions about them.

i had one several years ago, and the M770 is pure junk. sloopy and binding bolt, heavy and gritty trigger, cheap stock, yes, pure junk. and i like Remingtons, as i own many of them, but refuse to ever own another M770.

want an accurate well built bolt action in 308? check out the Marlin XS7VH in 308. 26" heavy barrel, adjustable trigger, pillar bedded stock. MSRP of about $375. doubt you you will find a decent and accurate bolt action for less than $300 new. even the Axis is over $300 new.
Do you have any pics of the marlin your talking about? Might have to look at them later after work. Lol I just noticed that I reposted asking you this question on one of my own comments. Lol

Old 07-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

Isn't it funny how the ex-wife's know how to hit us hard. Mine was the problem not me and she's the one that was unfaithful but damn it if she doesn't go after my hard work and prize possessions which were my guns and my 4 wheeler and side by side. The only guns she didn't get was my old ones that were passed down to me from my great grandpa and my grandpa and parents. That's because my parents took those back from me until after the divorce so she wouldn't get them. Lol
Mine sold ALL my guns took my Vette and my boat. But Ohhh well I am happier with my new life and wife.

On the Axis note I got mine at Wally World for a unbeatable 247.99. It was on sale. Lol. I now have my weapons up to 4 handguns my 308 and my newly finished Ar-15. I want to build a bad butt 22 for target shooting next.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildone72

Mine sold ALL my guns took my Vette and my boat. But Ohhh well I am happier with my new life and wife.

On the Axis note I got mine at Wally World for a unbeatable 247.99. It was on sale. Lol. I now have my weapons up to 4 handguns my 308 and my newly finished Ar-15. I want to build a bad butt 22 for target shooting next.
Yes I agree. I'm much happier with my new life and wife too! That's not a bad deal, the Walmart by me still sells long guns and I heard they give great deals but I also heard with those great deals you also don't get the full quality of the long gun that you would by at a regular gun store. Because Walmart asks for a great price on there firearms so they don't put all the goodies on them cause they have to cut cost. My Walmart I seen the other day that they just started carrying the mossberg 930 semi auto tactical shotgun with the adjustable butt stock and the door breacher muzzle flash suppressor you know the one with the jagged teeth end and drilled, for $499! I've seen that same gun going used at a pawn shop without the other stuff on it for $700. Brand new anywhere else would be like $800+. That's the marines new shotgun they just got, it beat out the benelli M4 super 90 for the contract!

Old 07-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #17

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

Yes I agree. I'm much happier with my new life and wife too! That's not a bad deal, the Walmart by me still sells long guns and I heard they give great deals but I also heard with those great deals you also don't get the full quality of the long gun that you would by at a regular gun store. Because Walmart asks for a great price on there firearms so they don't put all the goodies on them cause they have to cut cost. My Walmart I seen the other day that they just started carrying the mossberg 930 semi auto tactical shotgun with the adjustable butt stock and the door breacher muzzle flash suppressor you know the one with the jagged teeth end and drilled, for $499! I've seen that same gun going used at a pawn shop without the other stuff on it for $700. Brand new anywhere else would be like $800+. That's the marines new shotgun they just got, it beat out the benelli M4 super 90 for the contract!
I have read and heard the debate over Walmart and the guns and ammo they sell. I can assure you after research and contacting sig they said it was the same gun as can be had at any retailer. They stated that Walmart orders them buy the hundreds where as your average gun store orders a few. That is why they can cut them a better deal and in turn sell for less.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMatt72

I have read and heard the debate over Walmart and the guns and ammo they sell. I can assure you after research and contacting sig they said it was the same gun as can be had at any retailer. They stated that Walmart orders them buy the hundreds where as your average gun store orders a few. That is why they can cut them a better deal and in turn sell for less.
Yes I agree with the AR's and ammo I don't think they would cut cost on those, but for the rifles they are different. For instance the mossberg 100 ATR in any caliber at other gun stores come with a flutted heavier barrel and the lightning bolt adjustable trigger or known as the LBA trigger and a free floating barrel. The ones at Walmart have just a standard barrel that looks and feels lighter and a regular trigger that's not adjustable. Now I'm not saying there bad rifles, I'm just saying that some of them you can see a difference if you look close enough. Because I've been keeping my eye on the Sig AR in OD green with the magpul stuff on it for a couple months now it's only $800 at mine

Old 07-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostileSigPro40 View Post
Oh and do you have a picture of this marlin? I never even thought about looking at them.
here you go! Marlin XS7VH in 308, w/ 26" heavy barrel, adjustable trigger, pillar bedded stock. mine has had a lot of weight added, barrel and action have been glass bedded, trigger tuned and adjusted to just under 2 lbs., has a Swift Premier 8-32x50 scope and my own personal camo paint job! paid $370 for the rifle and $265 for the scope. i did all the work myself on this rifle. just a budget target rifle.
marlin-xs7vh-308-001-001.jpg   marlin-xs7vh-308-001-002.jpg   marlin-xs7vh-308-001-003.jpg  

Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ummm hello, can you say freakin AWESOME!!!! Nice rifle bubba. Good job on the camo too. Also one thing I wanted to ask is what's does it mean when someone says it's been glass bedded and what's the reason for it? Also I can see by the pics that someone likes mountain dew! Hahaha... Lol