On a budget and new to rifles and just a few q's - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > On a budget and new to rifles and just a few q's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Do u know how much I would have to pay for this much info... I think im going with the m44
(does anyone know the length) and the savage bolt action. What about affordable AR or AK variants?

"Having the burden and responsibility of carrying a firearm is well worth my family and love ones safety. I practice for them, and a well trained and prepared man with his love ones on his mind is the most dangerous man." - JJ

Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #12

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJthebull View Post
Do u know how much I would have to pay for this much info... I think im going with the m44
(does anyone know the length) and the savage bolt action. What about affordable AR or AK variants?

"Having the burden and responsibility of carrying a firearm is well worth my family and love ones safety. I practice for them, and a well trained and prepared man with his love ones on his mind is the most dangerous man." - JJ
42" comes to mind(IIRC), but let me get back to you after I measure it.

The M44s were the rifles being issued to Russian forces at the end of

WWII.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #13

Liked 1244 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 792

this is my m44.. Overall length was 40 inches
m1.jpg   m2.jpg  

Old 08-16-2011, 02:32 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would recommend the Mosin-Nagant 91/30. The longer barrel is much nicer if you plan to shoot a lot. The cartridge is 7.62 x 54 everywhere, except Finland, where they do say 7.62 x 53 (current production Lapua ammo and brass are still marked 7.62 x 53R).

The only semis that fire 7.62 x 54 cartridge don't meet your criteria for cheap. The SVT, the Dragunov, PSL, and the like can all be had, but you're looking at around $700 at the bottom end. My suggestion would be a SKS from one of the Eastern European countries (Yugoslavia, Albania, etc.), whatever is cheapest (say, $200). It fires the 7.62 x 39 cartridge, which is still pretty plentiful. Some years down the road, having the ammo on hand would provide a ready explanation to the wife as to why you also need an AK.

For the .22LR, it doesn't matter. Go as cheap as possible, so you can pull off buying the SKS and more ammo. When you tire of it, put it away for when the kids get old enough to go to the range. They won't care what it is either, as long as it goes "bang."

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 08-16-2011, 03:59 AM   #15

I agree with marysdad, definately look into a 91/30 over a carbine version. I love mine, and with the longer barrel you will get better accuracy, less recoil, and less volume. Plus the full sized rifles are cheaper than the carbines and the bayonets are detachable. $200 will probaly get you a good 91/30 and 880 rounds of surplus soviet ammo.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #16

I am looking into a sks... Where do u suggest buying the sks and mosin from?

Old 08-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysdad
I would recommend the Mosin-Nagant 91/30. The longer barrel is much nicer if you plan to shoot a lot. The cartridge is 7.62 x 54 everywhere, except Finland, where they do say 7.62 x 53 (current production Lapua ammo and brass are still marked 7.62 x 53R).

The only semis that fire 7.62 x 54 cartridge don't meet your criteria for cheap. The SVT, the Dragunov, PSL, and the like can all be had, but you're looking at around $700 at the bottom end. My suggestion would be a SKS from one of the Eastern European countries (Yugoslavia, Albania, etc.), whatever is cheapest (say, $200). It fires the 7.62 x 39 cartridge, which is still pretty plentiful. Some years down the road, having the ammo on hand would provide a ready explanation to the wife as to why you also need an AK.

For the .22LR, it doesn't matter. Go as cheap as possible, so you can pull off buying the SKS and more ammo. When you tire of it, put it away for when the kids get old enough to go to the range. They won't care what it is either, as long as it goes "bang."
Great ideas the wife hates the guns fetish other than the ones for protection.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJthebull View Post
I am looking into a sks... Where do u suggest buying the sks and mosin from?
I just went to Big 5 and bought my mosin. These things are still fairly common so if i were you id just start checking all of your local sporting goods stores.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #19

Local gs has sks for 275 is that good going to look at it

Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #20

$275 for an SKS, as long as it's in nice shape don't sound like too bad of a price to me, used to be just like mosins a few years back. A dime a dozen and cheeeaaap. My dad had one way back in the day and he lliked it. Good luck on your purchase.