On a budget and new to rifles and just a few q's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > On a budget and new to rifles and just a few q's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default On a budget and new to rifles and just a few q's

Im looking for three rifles to start a collection with. Let me first say that im still in college thus I have a extremely tight budget. I love firearms and I graduate soon so I plan on expanding on this collection then with the higher end stuff. Right now knowing I plan to continue the collection quality does not matter at all and I want the cheapest the market has to offer. Thats the first disclaimer, the second is like I said I am a beginner when it comes to long guns so if I say something stupid please correct me but dont criticize me or jump down my throat because I am admitting I dont know it all. Lastly I have read the stickies so please dont reference me there.

Now the three guns I want are for fun and for a platform for a long hobby in shooting. I am a firm beleiver of working your way up unlike many young men my age. When I talk to all me ol shooting buddies they tell me about there rusted ol daisy bb hand pump rifles that they terrorized squirrel and rabbit with when they where 9 and 10. One thing in common they all say is that is where their love of rifles began. And I know most of you agree. So unlike many men my age I dont want to start off with the best because there is no room for improvement nor memories. If that is the case what is the purpose of starting a collection.

Again im going to try to stay on topic. The three guns I want (and remeber I have to keep cost of ammo in mind) a bolt action type, semi auto, and a 22 lr. The only one I have made my mind up about is the bolt action type and that is a mosin nagant but I still dont know which one of those are the best so I still need help on that. It also would be awesome if anyone knew of a semi that shot 7.62x 53 (I beleive thats what mosin shoots right?) that way my ammo could serve multi uses. As far as the 22 ammo cost isnt an issue (either way its going to be expensive... Lol) but rather which brand makes the cheapest one that I still can get durability because I probaly be shooting this the most because of cost of ammo and portability.

Thanks in advance for ur suggestions. I appreciate anyone willing to help a young die hard shooter. And yeah im 23 and live in florida, that might help.

"Having the burden and responsibility of carrying a firearm is well worth my family and love ones safety. I practice for them, and a well trained and prepared man with his love ones on his mind is the most dangerous man." - JJ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJthebull View Post
Again im going to try to stay on topic. The three guns I want (and remeber I have to keep cost of ammo in mind) a bolt action type, semi auto, and a 22 lr. The only one I have made my mind up about is the bolt action type and that is a mosin nagant but I still dont know which one of those are the best so I still need help on that. It also would be awesome if anyone knew of a semi that shot 7.62x 53 (I beleive thats what mosin shoots right?) that way my ammo could serve multi uses. As far as the 22 ammo cost isnt an issue (either way its going to be expensive... Lol) but rather which brand makes the cheapest one that I still can get durability because I probaly be shooting this the most because of cost of ammo and portability.
okay. well for the .22lr you have a few options. if you want cheap you can go with a savage in either bolt or semi auto. they are generally around 140 to 180 bucks.. my opinion is spend just a little bit more and get a marlin. i have a marlin 25n which is a bolt .22 and very accurate and i want the semi version. my sister has it and its very nice to shoot as well. they run around 250. if you want to upgrade it eventually. go with a ruger 10/22. about 250 as well but you can change just about everything from stocks to barrels and triggers etc. now the mosin is a good choice for cheap ammo and rifle but they do tend to kick. i have a carbine version and i think the full length may kick just little less. but besides that a good choice. oh and its 7.62x 54r.. you were close. maybe a typo? as far as other cheap guns. check for anything used at the local gun shop. most the time they are good enough to shoot a bunch but not as nice looking. good luck

Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1

okay. well for the .22lr you have a few options. if you want cheap you can go with a savage in either bolt or semi auto. they are generally around 140 to 180 bucks.. my opinion is spend just a little bit more and get a marlin. i have a marlin 25n which is a bolt .22 and very accurate and i want the semi version. my sister has it and its very nice to shoot as well. they run around 250. if you want to upgrade it eventually. go with a ruger 10/22. about 250 as well but you can change just about everything from stocks to barrels and triggers etc. now the mosin is a good choice for cheap ammo and rifle but they do tend to kick. i have a carbine version and i think the full length may kick just little less. but besides that a good choice. oh and its 7.62x 54r.. you were close. maybe a typo? as far as other cheap guns. check for anything used at the local gun shop. most the time they are good enough to shoot a bunch but not as nice looking. good luck
Perfect yeah and that was not a typo just my inexperience but what about a semi shooting in the that same caliber. Do they make ak variants that run 7.62x54r?

"Having the burden and responsibility of carrying a firearm is well worth my family and love ones safety. I practice for them, and a well trained and prepared man with his love ones on his mind is the most dangerous man." - JJ

Old 08-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #4

Anymore suggestions

Old 08-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #5

And can someone explain what is pro vs. con when it comes to the savage semi vs. bolt action 22

Old 08-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #6

Liked 2505 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

Hi, JJthebull,

Welcome to Firearms Talk Forum.

I'd recommend a Mosin, either a 91-30, if you like the

longer barrel, or a M44 if you like the carbine(also comes

with a built-in bayonet). For my collection, the M44 seems

the most fun to shoot.

As to the 22LR, good idea, but why not get a 22LR semi-auto?

Kill two birds with one stone. 22LR is almost as much fun to

shoot as the Mosin, and the ammo's cheaper. And there are a herd

of 22LR semis to choose from, there's even a couple inexpensive

AR-types, the SIG 522, and the S&W 15-22...

Gunbroker is your friend.

Join the NRA.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJthebull View Post
Perfect yeah and that was not a typo just my inexperience but what about a semi shooting in the that same caliber. Do they make ak variants that run 7.62x54r?

actually they do and i just saw one for the first time at a gunshow saturday. i dont know what the name of it was or any info on it but i did look at it and read that it took that caliber. it almost looked a little like a SVT type rifle but i didnt look to close....with the savage the main advantage i think is the trigger. on there bolt actions they have what savage calls the accu trigger. its made to be a smoother better pulling trigger. just really a better trigger. the semi auto's they make as far as i know only have the standard trigger. besides that its mainly just if you want to have to work the bolt or just pull the trigger. in .22 cal. it shouldnt make much difference accuracy wise

i own a savage semi .22. i loved it at the store but after many shots and cleanings if i had to make the choice again i would def go with the savage bolt. not that my semi isnt accurate enough or fun. i just learned what i really like and the semi isnt providing it exactly. but its a nice gun to have as an extra for shooting partners and i still take it out from time to time... and with the bolt you tend to learn how to take more well aimed shots instead of just squezzing off a few shots faster

1st rifle is a marlin semi .22, the 2nd rifle down is a marlin bolt .22, the 3rd is my savage semi .22, the 4th is a winchester bolt .22
securedownload3.jpg  

Last edited by jjfuller1; 08-15-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:39 AM   #8

Liked 1847 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

I have a Marlin model 60. You can still find them in pawn shops pretty cheap. Maybe even under $100. The Walmart in my town has a bolt action 22 with a magazine feed for something like $120. I think it is a Marlin. But can't guarantee it. Mosins are great. I have the long version. I dont think you can go wrong with any Mosin.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:32 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the only semi auto readily available for the 7.62x54r is the Dragonov and they are not cheap, but you are right on the ball with a moisin nagant they are cheap and the ammo is plentiful and they are a darned good gun

As marlin and savage 22s are great and have been around forever and are easily found in pawn shops for cheap, but as someone stated above the ruger 10/22 is an all around great super customizable 22

If you want a larger caliber semi auto that is relatively cheap to buy and shoot go with an SKS

your quote is great

Old 08-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

oh to answer your question about bolt action vs semi auto, A bolt action is generally considered more accurate but you are giving up quicker follow up shots naturally