Budget Deer Rifle for White Tails
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Budget Deer Rifle for White Tails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Budget Deer Rifle for White Tails

I got some really good advice at Shotgun world forum and purchased a 20 ga ultra slug gun and a bushnell scope. Good advice. Good gun choice.

Wisconsin has some shotgun only counties and some where a rifle is allowed. I now have access to some rifle country.

I have looked at the Savage 111 package gun w/ a scope. The ones w/o accutrigger are priced as low as $320. I think they are left over inventory of nonaccutrigger guns.

The gun will be used strictly for deer hunting. I would prefer a composite stock. I might also consider a stainless action and barrel if that does not hamper the stealth aspects of deer hunting??? I am also fond of a bolt action. I have a remington bolt action 22 that I really like. I will not purchase a semi auto, but I will consider other actions.

Most of my hunting will be from a stand. Most of my shots will be less than 100 yards.

Any advice on a gun choice or caliber for deer? I have been eyeing the .270. I have several coworkers who are .270 owners and they rave about the caliber.

It will be a woods gun and it will get dinged. That is just the nature of bringing a gun into the woods and hauling it up into a tree stand.

I did not grow up hunting deer. I have only hunted for about the last 4 or 5 years so I have a lot to learn. Thanks in advance for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

You can pick up a Remington 700 with a composite stock for around $400-$500. Heres mine in .308win.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #3

Default deer rifle

savage makes good deer guns and accurate.get .308 win.it will do job as well as any.plus cart are common.or you could get H & R handy rifle about $150.they load fast if you practice.30/30 will handle deer at 100yds.my son got deer with sks at 100yds and it dropped in its tracks.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
You can pick up a Remington 700 with a composite stock for around $400-$500. Heres mine in .308win.
My thoughts and reccomendation exactly...well, I am partial to the 30-06 cartridge

Who are the militia? They consist of the whole people, except for a few public officials.
-George Mason, Framer of the Declaration of Rights, Virginia, 1776 , which became the basis of the U.S. Bill of Rights