Budget bolt gun suggestions? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Budget bolt gun suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I will throw in the Marlin XL/XS-7 if you decide a detachable mag is not a deal killer. If it is, I will offer the Mossberg 4x4, but I am not certain that it is offered in .308 Win.

As far as the 5R rifling process...ummm, while I am not sure, but could that be a process where the rifling is done by using progressively larger reamers (5 in all) to complete the process? To me, that sounds like another word for "doing it differently because we named it and it sounds good so we can use that as a selling point."

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:06 AM   #12

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've got an XL-7 in 30-06 and I'm a pretty big fan of it, especially for the price.

I'd recommend that if you make a DM a non-make or break. I'm not sure if they make it in .308 though.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I never considered Mossberg rifles..glad someone pointed them out. The Mossberg 4x4 looks like a good deal. Not a fan of the muzzle brake, it just looks funky on a hunting rifle really. The only bad thing about the 4x4 is its not offered in 308 win. I figure he'd have to actually hold and take a look at the 4x4 to see if the features outweighed the problem of it not being in .308 win.
Hopefully we can find one tomorrow.

That 5R rifling for the T/C sounds like the progressive rifling Smith and Wesson had to do in their .460 revolver because if they didnt it wouldnt have been able to last as long because of the high pressure of entering such a high rate to twist rifling. Ahh bureaucrats...they'll find a way to copy anything with a loop hole

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #14

From what I understand the 5r rifling with 5 lands and grooves is suppose to cause less bullet deformation than the standard 6 land and groove rifling to help achieve accuracy and the way they are cut is supposedly not to attract as much copper fouling and be easier to clean. Fact or marketing hype? I'm not sure but I know ours shoot great for $400 rifles.
What problems are people having with their venture magazines? I've not had any trouble out of the 2 rifles that we have but I would like to know what to watch for.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #15

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Your least expensive options are probably going to be Mossberg and Savage.
they are both good guns, more than enough for deer hunting. The Howa and Weatherby vanguards are a little more expensive.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Your least expensive options are probably going to be Mossberg and Savage. they are both good guns, more than enough for deer hunting. The Howa and Weatherby vanguards are a little more expensive.
Weatherby Vanguard are around $399.99 at Academy Sports...we just bought 2 late last year. True that they may cost a bit more (about $20 - $100 depending on the model) but the quality (compared to Mossberg) is very obvious (well to me at least).

Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well a disappointment I wasnt expecting is that Academy and Bass Pro (at least around here) dont carry the Marlin bolt actions any more. Both guys I talked to were knowledgeable and both told me the same thing, that the Marlin's werent moving at all but of course the lever-actions were. Seems people tend to skip over the Marlin's and go straight for the Vangaurd or just shell out for the Remington SPS.
I didnt get to look at the T/C Venture but I did get to look at the Mossberg 4x4 in 30-06, which was very nicely built considering it was $340. The Vangaurd was of course nicely built and was a $399 at Academy. I did get to look at a Savage Axis and a Savage 10 and both were more on par with the Vangaurd than the Mossberg.
Dad said we would just wait till the next gun show and see about it then. Since that's the case I'll be trying to save up a few extra bucks to give him so it'll give him a step up in quality for the rifle, since I wont be around to give him a birthday present this summer.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 AM   #18

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

buy on line and ship it to a store near you.

You can always do that.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I found dad's rifle, it was the XL7 in 30-06. We're planning on sighting it in tomorrow evening. The scope it comes with looks like it was on an airsoft rifle, but we'll give it a shot anyway. I've got a second scope I can put on there if this one craps out.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

You may want to look at a Tikka T3 synthetic lightweight. It has a 60deg bolt, detachable magazine, free floating barrel and guaranteed 1 MOA accuracy. At my local BassPro it was $450. It was very similar to the TC in features, look and feel.