Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Budget .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Budget .308

Hey guys. I'm looking for a budget ($600 without scope is limit) .308
I'm looking for the gun to be left handed. So far, I'm looking at the Savage Axis (LH .308) and a Remington 700 SPS (LH .308)
Any other decent firearms around this price and left handed in .308? It will be for target and deer hunting. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2013, 02:16 AM   #2

Liked 1915 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 410

Ruger 77, Savage 10, Stevens, Remington 700. Check used tho save more. Most of these guns are not abused or used very hard, so you should be able to find a good rifle with lots of life left, in your budget.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:44 AM   #3

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

...and if you don't mind a single shot, there is always the Thompson Center Encore.

Mine is chambered for 30.06 but .308 is certainly available as well.

Same barrel length but 6" shorter overall than any bolt gun... Very hand in the bush.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #4

Thanks, I looked at the 77, they looked nice

Old 12-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #5

Liked 131 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Seth, I recently bought a Remington 700 SPS in .308. Mine is a left handed heavy barrel (Varmint) model. It is too heavy for mountain hunting but would be fine for down in the valley whitetail hunting or prairie dog shooting where I won"t have to carry it a long way. I liked the fact that it was affordable ($630), and later on I can add a few goodies when I get the money. I plan on getting an H-S Precision Pro 2000 Sendero stock for it and a Timney trigger eventually. But right out of the box, with the cheap stock and a little too heavy factory trigger, it was shooting all of the bullets touching at 100 yards if I did my part. I usually have one flyer out of the group but that's my fault. I'm sure the lighter barrel SPS would do as well for the first few shots. The only advantage (besides a bit more weight for steadier holding) to the heavier barrel is a bit less heat and bullet dispersion for paper targets or varminting, where you'll be firing more than a few shots. For big game hunting, the skinny barrel is the way to go. I also have a Ruger 77, mine is the Gunsite Scout model .308. It is very accurate for a 16" barrel, but I don't like the action of the Ruger as well as the Remington. My Ruger has a bit of slop in the bolt when you are working it, until it broke in, I could hardly push the bolt forward as it would bind. It's better now, but not near as smooth as the Remington.

dsc01484.jpg   dsc01461.jpg   45k20e4s-group.jpg   dsc01490.jpg  

Last edited by sandog; 12-27-2013 at 12:41 PM.
godale Likes This 
Old 12-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #6

Thanks, I've always liked the Remingtons. I can see what you mean by accurate. Now, what would the stock and Timney trigger do?

Old 12-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #7

Seth, the SPS stock is a cheapo and allows Remington to keep the price low. I figured when I bought my SPS Varmint that I was basically buying the barreled action, and I would replace the stock as soon as I could. The aftermarket stocks are stiffer and have better bedding for the action, making consistent shots more attainable. I was at Sportman's warehouse last week and I asked to look at a Remington 700 in .338 Lapua, selling for $1900. I was not so much interested in the caliber as much as the stock that it came with. It was the same H-S Precision stock that I want to order soon and in the same color, o.d. green with black spiderweb. That $1900 rifle was pretty much the same barreled action as I have, but a bigger caliber w/ muzzlebrake and had a $350 H-S stock on it.
Remington now has the X-Mark pro trigger on new rifles. The tag tied to the trigger guard claimed how great it was and that they have a 3 1/2 lb. trigger as it comes from the factory. Mine scaled at 6 lbs. I adjusted the single adjustment screw as low as I could and now have 4 3/4 lbs. I'd like it a bit lower than that, and Timney makes an excellent trigger. You can buy Remington's X-mark trigger separately for $90, but I don't know why someone would do that when they could get a Timney for $35 more. If you look at a Brownell's or Midway catalog, you'll see that there are a gagillion aftermarket stocks, triggers, bolt handles, and detachable mag kits made for the Model 700. It's like the AR of the bolt action world, it's so popular there are way, way more upgrades available for it than any other bolt action. But not so many for the left hand rifles. For example, aftermarket triggers. Not just any replacement trigger will work on the lefty's because the new trigger has to have the safety on the left hand side as well. But Timney makes left hand Remington triggers w/ safeties. And H-S is about the only stockmaker that makes an upgrade stock for my left hand heavy barrel.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #8

Alright, now where would I have to go to get one? Do you have to order them online or can you to any sporting goods store and pick one up?

Old 12-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #9

Try stockysstocks:
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-SOUTHPAWS/Categories
or order direct from H-S. more colors available, but it takes 6-8 weeks for them to make it:
https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/catalogsearch/result/?q=left+handed+remington+700
For triggers, try Brownell's or Midway:
http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=Timney++triggers+for+remington+700&ksu bmit=y
http://www.timneytriggers.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=1 5

Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #10

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I know some one has already suggested a single shot and a nice one at that but im gonna say h&r single shot cheaper then the thompson center ans still pretty darn good for the money plus you could get a nice scope for it.

Me personally if i had the money id get me a ruger scout rifle, you have iron sights and the ability to mount optics plus detachable mags but thats just me.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED