Buddy at work saw a Browning A bolt .338
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Buddy at work saw a Browning A bolt .338

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1524 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 1395

Default Buddy at work saw a Browning A bolt .338

For $700. with a Burris 4X12 scope ( I know it has to say more than 4X12 but it doesnot) .I'm saying there is something wrong with that deal!
What say the peanut Gallery.
http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_General/63_Guns_Hunting/437176_Browning_A_Bolt_338.html
Featured Ad 437176
E-mail This To a Friend... Print This Ad...
Browning A-Bolt .338
Location Wasilla, Alaska
Price $700
Telephone 907-982xxxx
Browning 338 a bolt with a burris 4x12 scope very good condition had the stock hydro dipped so it has a nice rubber finish. Comes with some ammo and a sling call or text 907 982 xxxx I got a new number and the website won't let me change the phone number in the contact

I obliterated the contact number and just copied the ad to show the content.
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17

Last edited by artbrownsr; 02-19-2016 at 07:42 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #2

Liked 131 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Looks to be reasonable. The fact the stock has been fiddled with hurts value plus. The A-Bolt is a good rifle but we see them here in NC between $400-600 for comparable used rifles. Also good deals can be had on magnum rifles because the recoil on a light rifle is too much for a lot of folks. If the the rifle has the BOSS break I would not own it. They are loud and still kick like hell. The scope is nice but from the picture may be worth an extra fifty bucks. Used scopes don't hold value and it looks to be an older model Burris. If you want it lowball him at $550-$600. I would stop at $625. Keep in mind this is the time of year folks need money so deals are better than before hunting season.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:54 AM   #3

Liked 301 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 139

The Burris 4x-12x don't excite me, and wouldn't be MY personal choice so it would be replaced, but overall it's a good deal. The previous poster is wrong about the BOSS system. To begin with if you don't want the muzzlebrake, you can get the CR=conventional recoil module which still offers the increased accuracy of being able to tune & time the vibration cycle. I've had hands on experience with quite a few Browning A-Bolts and even BAR Safaris BOSS equipped, and admit to being very sceptical about the BOSS system until I actually saw the results of them on the range. The BOSS is simply another way of timing the bullet's exiting the bore more consistently, and at the same point of vibration cycle the same way that reloaders work up a load by adjusting the powder charge, and hence velocity. Basically it's mostly for people that don't reload and offers them the accurizing benefit, but with factory ammo. If you do want the BOSS (and I would!), you're not going to be shooting that much at game, and can use 1 of the many hearing protection types when you're ready to pull the trigger, and the felt recoil reduction makes the .338 feel like a 30-06. It's a stainless stalker so if it were ME, I'd try to get him down and keep the scope & discount the bare rifle if possible. That particular rifle/cartridge combo makes for dandy elk on up rifle, being way too much overkill on deer. I was looking desperately for a .338 at a bargain price before I went on my last elk hunt after winning the eastern Ky lotto but couldn't find any.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:02 AM   #4
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1524 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 1395

Thanks gentlemen for the come back I've asked my buddy to join the club so I'm not going to give his name out until he shows a screen name. Then I'll bring him to this thread to see the info
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17

Old 02-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #5

Liked 131 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The Burris 4x-12x don't excite me, and wouldn't be MY personal choice so it would be replaced, but overall it's a good deal. The previous poster is wrong about the BOSS system. To begin with if you don't want the muzzlebrake, you can get the CR=conventional recoil module which still offers the increased accuracy of being able to tune & time the vibration cycle. I've had hands on experience with quite a few Browning A-Bolts and even BAR Safaris BOSS equipped, and admit to being very sceptical about the BOSS system until I actually saw the results of them on the range. The BOSS is simply another way of timing the bullet's exiting the bore more consistently, and at the same point of vibration cycle the same way that reloaders work up a load by adjusting the powder charge, and hence velocity. Basically it's mostly for people that don't reload and offers them the accurizing benefit, but with factory ammo. If you do want the BOSS (and I would!), you're not going to be shooting that much at game, and can use 1 of the many hearing protection types when you're ready to pull the trigger, and the felt recoil reduction makes the .338 feel like a 30-06. It's a stainless stalker so if it were ME, I'd try to get him down and keep the scope & discount the bare rifle if possible. That particular rifle/cartridge combo makes for dandy elk on up rifle, being way too much overkill on deer. I was looking desperately for a .338 at a bargain price before I went on my last elk hunt after winning the eastern Ky lotto but couldn't find any.
I admit I hate any sort of a muzzle break and that have passed on a few Brownings with the BOSS system. I did not know about the CR module. The way people down here flip deer rifles after the season I may be more open to the Brownings.