Browning X-bolt versus Weatherby Vangaurd
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Browning X-bolt versus Weatherby Vangaurd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Browning X-bolt versus Weatherby Vangaurd

I am buying a new deer rifle (30.06) and, after shooting many brands/models, am down to the Browning X-bolt stainless stalker and the Weatherby Vangaurd Sub MOA stainless. Obviously, both are great rifles, anyone have first-hand experience shooting these guns?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have extensive experience with the Vanguard. stalkingbear is the big Browning guy, though I think he is an A-Bolt aficionado....

The Vanguard is a great action. I have one in .25-06 that I built for my grandfather before he passed and he loved it.

The Vanguard is made in Japan, by Howa, and is CNC machined to exact tolerances. it's a flat bottom action with a very good integral recoil lug, very good extractor and the Vanguard's come with an accuracy guarantee from Weatherby, so it's a hard rifle package to beat at the moment.

Here is a side by side action comparison I did awhile back for the forum - but it did not include the Browning Bolts.

Good luck with your purchase decision and please post a range report...

JD

Old 02-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Dillinger. After I make a decision on a scope and get everything together, I will post a range report.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm of the FIRM opinion that of the bolt actions on the market, the Brownings meet MY criteria as the closest thing to perfect-most features that I like Personally. Both the A-bolt and the X-bolt are both EXCELLENT IMO.