Browning X-Bolt or Remington SPS
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Browning X-Bolt or Remington SPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Browning X-Bolt or Remington SPS

I'm looking into buying either a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker, or Remington 700 SPS Stainless in .300wsm Can i get some opinions of which one you guys would buy? Also Remington 700 XCR II

Thanks guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Both the Browning and Remington are good guns. Accessory wise,Remington would be my choice of the two,but the Browning has a very smooth action and is a great shooter.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

While both have their pluses they both have drawbacks as well.

Browning: not much in the way of aftermarket stuff (If your into that) made for it. COST you pay big time for the NAME Browning. They are a great rifle and offer a 3 lug 60deg bolt system that makes for quicker bolt cycle times. They are a strong well designed action. Although it is young very young.

Remington: It is like the small block chevy of the rifle world. If it is out there you can get it for the 700. From fancy stocks to every tacticool thing out there it is made for the 700. Not the strongest action out there and SOME claim the extractor is very weak but I have never seen one broke. Harder to bed than many other flat bottom actions can be taken care of with some aluminum bedding blocks of some stocks. I am known as the Remington Fan boy of the board as I have 5 Remington rifles. They can be made very accurate because they are a round action machining doesn't take much effort.

If I were going to buy a brand new rifle right now It would not be either one. It would be a savage just because you by the rifle and you can get pre-made barrels you can change out with a wrench and go no-go gauges.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #4

Don't forget the Winchester Model 70. They started making them again last year in Columbia, SC and the word is that it is made with all the great qualities of the pre-64 but with improvements.

I own an old Browning A-bolt Stalker in .280 and it has been an awesome gun the last 20 years but I really like the looks and function of the new x-bolt.

The problem you have is that Browning, Winchester and Remington are all putting out some incredible rifles right now and it's a tough choice.

I recently bought a new Winchester Super Grade Model 70 in .270 and a Rem XCR II in 7MM Mag and they are both extremely well designed rifles. For the XCR II, you can buy a really cool camo stock made just for that rifle on ebay right now for around 100 bucks. That's what I did and it looks sweet.

Good luck in your decision but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's just MY personal preference but I'd jump on the X-bolt and not look back. It's commonly known that I'm the resident Browning A-bolt/X-bolt fanboy. IMO the Browning has a LOT better design which includes-
3 locking lug design
90 degree bolt throw
a MUCH improved extractor design over the Remington's
detachable magazine
true tang safety (important to me)
factory glass bedded
factory free floated barrel
scope bases are secured with 4 screws apiece

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #6

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

I have 2 Brownings, no 700's. Both of my Brownings are stupid accurate and reliable.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'd buy the Browning.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 AM   #8

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Browning 9 10

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello