Browning X-Bolt or A-Bolt
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Browning X-Bolt or A-Bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Browning X-Bolt or A-Bolt

If purchasing a Browning bolt action rifle in either 7mmMag or 300 Win mag, would the X bolt or the A bolt be better????WhiteWolf

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Very good question. I already have 2 a-bolts and was looking at an x-bolt closely. If this will be your 1st browning,I'd likely go for the x-bolt,simply for the reasons that the trigger is outstanding on the x-bolt,and you don't have to permanently modify the safety so that the bolt will operate while on safe.
Am I going to trade in my a-bolts? NO WAY. I'm just hooked on the a-bolt.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #3

Default Thanks Dude

Nice to meet a browning man on here...lol...Actually have bought brownings all my life and got rid of em cause sometimes I do stupid things....lol...Just chose the Browning lable cause that's what I grew up with...Took dads old heavy 12 gauge Belgium in the river bottoms since I was 13...Kicked like a mule...lol....
That being said...I buying back into firearms and never had a bolt action....Ran into a deal sunday that I couldn't pass up...7mm Rem Mag w/BOSS w/Nikon Monarch scope...Might have messed up, don't know....Got a rep from Browning supposed to call me about the BOSS and gonna check with him on the X-Bolt....I don't think the features are that much different...But I like the idea of the bolt/safety thing also....Thanks for the comeback...Dwight

Old 11-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #4

I'd like to know about the X bolt vs. the A bolt also. I'm still stuck on the old Browning Safaris (bolt actions on Mauser receivers).

Probably should start looking at new stuff...........

Old 11-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #5

No,you didn't mess up at all,got yourself a heck of a setup there. Just a couple things I want to touch on with the boss. The first is you really need to get the boss "CR" module. CR meaning conventional recoil. It's the piece that has the holes in it on your boss except it don't have the muzzlebreak holes in it. You will use that when hunting,or at a crowdwd range where increased noise level isn't cool. Use the boss (one with holes) module when you're shooting it a lot such as sighting it in or adjusting boss to "sweet spot".
What the boss does is basically the exact same thing as reloaders do when working up a load,but by different method. In both methods,the idea is for the bullet to exit muzzle at same point in vibration cycle (same point in muzzle whip) as close as possible with every bullet. This is espically helpful if you DON'T reload. I was exrtremely sceptical of the boss when it first came out but after shooting several boss equipped rifles,I consider it to be 1 of the greatest things to come out for hunters/shooters that never intend to reload.
Since I'm a long time reloader,the boss don't do anything I can't myself by working up a load. Adjusting the boss is althou simple,requires a lot of ammo/time to get it exactly right. What you do to adjust it is start at the manufacturer's reccomended "sweet spot". Fire a 3 shot group,allowing plenty of time for barrel to cool between shots,adjust boss a full # value,fire another 3 shot group. You'll keep doing this,watching the group shrink,until it just starts getting bigger. Then if desired,you can fine tune the boss by adjusting 1/10 value at a time until you acchive the tightest group possible with THAT load. Different loads will of course,require different adjustments.
Hopefully I'm not making this seem complicated.
I LOVE my browning rifles(A-bolts,BLR,BL 22,BAR,T-bolts,etc),and some of their shotguns(any over/under and bps pumps).

Old 11-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #6

I currently have 2 a-bolts and can only comment on x-bolt from what I handled the other day. Both offer 3 locking lug,60 degree bolt throw,tang safety,detachable mag,factory glass bedding. The trigger on the x-bolt I tried is 1 of the very FEW I've ever tried on ANY kind of firearm that I wouldn't do a thing to. I don't think I would like the polymer mag as much as the steel 1 on a-bolts,but time will tell. The bolt is smaller in (x-bolt) diameter and the 3 lugs are configured differently between the 2. Offhand-either 1 is a winner but the x-bolt is supposed to be improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I'd like to know about the X bolt vs. the A bolt also. I'm still stuck on the old Browning Safaris (bolt actions on Mauser receivers).

Probably should start looking at new stuff...........

Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I currently have 2 a-bolts and can only comment on x-bolt from what I handled the other day. Both offer 3 locking lug,60 degree bolt throw,tang safety,detachable mag,factory glass bedding. The trigger on the x-bolt I tried is 1 of the very FEW I've ever tried on ANY kind of firearm that I wouldn't do a thing to. I don't think I would like the polymer mag as much as the steel 1 on a-bolts,but time will tell. The bolt is smaller in (x-bolt) diameter and the 3 lugs are configured differently between the 2. Offhand-either 1 is a winner but the x-bolt is supposed to be improved.
Thanks, Stalkingbear! I get kinda' stupid when looking at Browning bolt action rifles. I just seem to gibber and drool, instead of asking intelligent questions. It helps to have someone who can keep their wits about them do some analysis and note the engineering differences.

Thanks again!

Old 11-15-2008, 11:38 PM   #8

Thanks for all the info on the boss....Helps me alot...This is my first shot at a bolt action rifle and I'm a little ignorant to it all...Been out of hunting a long time and need to update....I've still got my dads old belgium .12 ga he bought in "54"...WhiteWolf

Old 11-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #9

Hey guys, I'm going to purchase an X bolt, I love the gun and it just "fits". I'm curious about the BOSS system too. Why is it not offered on the x bolt? Is there some design difference that doesn't allow for it?

Old 11-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #10

Default boss in X-bolt

As a matter of fact,the boss is offered in many of the X-bolt configurations. Go to the browning website and you can see what all x-bolts are offered with boss. Glad to help guys!