Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > browning x bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default browning x bolt

i have been trying to find a new rifle. i want a gun that i can hunt almost any animal in the midwest with. i have checked out the browning x bolts and they seem to be pretty good althouhg i havnt shot any yet. i shoulderd som on tuesday and they fit me really well. i think i am going to get it in 308. do you guys have any oppinions about it and how it shoots?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

The x bolt replaced the A-bolt which was one of the youngest factory actions on the market. The A-bolt in my mind had and has some big plus's to it. One of which is 3 locking lugs. It adds more interface with the action and spreads the pressure better in my eyes than a 2 lug (Remington, Savage, Winchester) system.

Browning's are fine rifles and demand a lot of money. The X-bolt is a new version of the A-bolt. It should be a good shooting rifle.

There are also other rifles out there that will produce the same accuracy and even better accuracy for a lot less money. Savage would be the one I would pick right now for a new hunting rifle. I would get a 280 or 260 rem over the 308 as well. Flatter shooting and better down range performance. The 280 is a 7mm-06 (30-06 necked down to 7mm) the 260 (6.5-08 308 win necked down to 6.5mm) The 7mm and 6.5mm offer almost as good a range of bullets and weights as the 30 cal. But both offer much better trajectory than the 308.

This too is coming from a avaid 308 lover. Any one of the three with take just about anything on North America.