Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Browning fires while chambering round?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Browning fires while chambering round?

Hello, I have a four year old Browning A Bolt, 270WSM.

A few days ago while chambering a round it went off.

When I first pulled the rifle out of the case it had an expended cartridge in the chamber. I ejected that casing and then tried to load the live round. It went off....scared the hell out of me and did no good to my Ford..

What happened?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2008, 02:11 AM   #2

I am not familiar with an a bolt, has the trigger been adjusted?, did you get the bolt lever closed before it fired? If the trigger has been adjusted and it fired as you were locking the bolt then the trigger is too light. Otherwise you probably have a bad bolt. I would take it to a gunsmith.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've got several a-bolts, as well as working on more than a few and I'm POSITIVE somebody has screwed with the trigger. PLEASE take it in to your local QUALIFIED gunsmith. Somebody has had ahold of this good rifle and in the process of "bubbatizing" it, made it into an unsafe nightmare. ANY rifle can be messed up by somebody who don't know what he's doing.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I am going to say some one who doesn't know the browning trigger tried to adjust it.

DO NOT shoot it

DO NOT pass go

GO DIRECTLY to your gunsmith.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's posts like this that make people wonder about or shy away from perfectly good products. I don't even know why he posted it as I AM very familiar with A-bolts and I KNOW FOR A FACT some kitchen table bubba has screwed up the trigger on that particular A-bolt. Being familiar with the design, it's impossible for an untouched (factory), or responsibly adjusted trigger to just "go off" like that. I noticed he never came back and tried to deny it-not that it would do any good anyway.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Bear I think you are right. He was messin with the trigger thinking it was just like the Remington 700 trigger. he screwed it up and didn't like what any of us had to say.