Browning A-Bolt vs Remington
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Browning A-Bolt vs Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Browning A-Bolt vs Remington

I have been hunting with a Remington 700 or a Remington 660 for a Very long time. I just handed my Rem 660, in .308 Win, down to my son.While I was looking for a replacement rifle I found a very nice Browning A-bolt, in .308. I have not had a chance to shoot this rifle yet. Is it comparable to the Remingtons in quality? I have never owned a Browning before now.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The browning for sure especially the a-bolts. The browning quality is great and they are nice and accurate.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

A buddy had an A Bolt a few yrs ago, in .300 Win mag. We fought fought that rifle, never could get less than 1.5"groups at 100 yds with it. Had had a Win 70 in same cal thatd barely do 1" groups. The 700P (same cal) that the A Bolt was sold and applied towards holds 3/8" groups. The Browning did look nice though, and maybe it was just not a good one. Wont say that all Brownings dont shoot good, but that one didnt. Hard to find a 700 that wont shoot though.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1433 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 3056

This is one of those things were everyone is going to have an opinion, so here's mine. The Browning is a higher quality rifle than the Remington, but I would go with the Remington. Remingtons just work. They aren't the prettiest or the best designed but they get the job done time and time again. I'm in no way a fan of the new ownership, but they can't have messed up the Remington M700 too bad. But I don't think you would be disappointed with the A-bolt if you decide to go that route. Both are fine rifles I just prefer the Remington.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I have an A-Bolt in 7mmWSM and am very pleased with it. Have you tried different loads in it.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Brownings are based out of Morgan Utah, Remingtons in NY state. One company is in a gun friendly state, and the other is not. By giving your money to the wrong company, you are only hurting your and your grandchildren's future...... You 'yung grasshoppa' must choose only one..............

Old 08-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #7

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

The Browning Rifles are very nice. However the majority of the A-Bolts I have seen have the BOSS muzzle break and I hate a muzzle break with a passion but to each his own. Both will serve you well.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
The Browning Rifles are very nice. However the majority of the A-Bolts I have seen have the BOSS muzzle break and I hate a muzzle break with a passion but to each his own. Both will serve you well.
This one is a wood stocked, blued barrel, no muzzle break. Very Nice rifle, Feels great. Personally, I like Wood stocks. Just do not care for the feel of synthetic stocks. Has Not been easy to find a Nice,used wood-stocked .308 bolt-action rifle, in my area. I had found 1 other, but it was a Ruger M77 with a Bull-barrel.

Last edited by Lonewolf44; 08-16-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1433 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 3056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Brownings are based out of Morgan Utah, Remingtons in NY state. One company is in a gun friendly state, and the other is not. By giving your money to the wrong company, you are only hurting your and your grandchildren's future...... You 'yung grasshoppa' must choose only one..............
There are too many factors involved to base this decision on morality. Remingtons are in NY state which isn't good but they are still made in America which is. Browning is based in Utah but their guns have always been made over seas. The A-bolts are made in Japan. Being made by the Japaneses is sadly a plus in terms of quality. It's sad because American companies generally do not value quality like the Japaneses do, but the Remington's are still made by working Americans. Too many variables.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
There are too many factors involved to base this decision on morality. Remingtons are in NY state which isn't good but they are still made in America which is. Browning is based in Utah but their guns have always been made over seas. The A-bolts are made in Japan. Being made by the Japaneses is sadly a plus in terms of quality. It's sad because American companies generally do not value quality like the Japaneses do, but the Remington's are still made by working Americans. Too many variables.
And these working americans pay union dues which is what nominated and then won the slime in the white house today. I would rather help Japan out than the same powers that are taking away my rights.