Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Browning A-Bolt problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Browning A-Bolt problem

Hi, I have a three year old Browning A-Bolt. While loading a round in the chamber it fired on it's own. No one was hurt but it was scary. I sent the rifle to Browning. They sent it back with a form letter saying it checked out ok. What would you do? Yes, I am quite familiar with firearms. I am a retired Marine.

By the way, I had submitted this problem to this forum before and many replies said I must have had the rifle worked on before this problem but that is not true. The rifle has never been touched by anyone, only about 60 rounds fired all with no problem. Now I have a rifle that can not be trusted.

Last edited by Lizzard; 01-29-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: sdfds

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2009, 02:37 AM   #2

I just bought an x-bolt today. I got some snap caps so I could mess around with it. I noticed that if cycling the bolt slowly you can load two rounds one in front of another, could that have happened? one bullet hitting the primer of the other?

-just a thought (and I don't know if there is a technical name for this)

Old 01-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #3

I don't think that is possible with an A-bolt. When the round fired by itself the bolt was seated enough that it did not blow back. I then ejected the casing and there was nothing abnormal with that.

I talked with Browning today, the exact guy who worked on the rifle. He stated that there was nothing wrong with it. I am amazed by this response. At the very least they could have replaced the trigger mechanism. This according to my local "expert" would be the most likely area that malfunctioned. The bolt and trigger mech replacement would cover all bases.

But, they just shipped it home to me and told me to have fun.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #4

i have had semilar problems with other rifles. never a browning but not imposable. the usual problem is that the triger is set to light. or the sear is worn, the small anount of times you have fired the gun leads me to beleave that your triger is to light... there is a triger adjustment for this rifle behind the triger. if your triger is light. such a problem would not show up during an inspection. this problem is intermitant at best and usualy happons win the bolt is cycled extreamly fast or slow and depindes on the angle of the fire arm. the triger adjustment is accested by removing the trigger guard and using a small flat screwdriver to turn the screw. in is tight if i rember right. i would put the wepon threw a series of trials with out live ammo befor i trusted it again... it would be a long time before i could trust it.. good luck and be carefull