Browning BLR 308

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Browning BLR 308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Browning BLR 308

I have a 308 Browning BLR. I am trying to find the year my rifle was made. The Browning site has incorrect info regarding the serial number and finding a year of production. My serial number 08410K57 made in Japan. With the Browning site the K stands for BLR and 57 stands for the year but this is not possible bec they were not produced until 1970. Anyone have idea about how to determine the yr. I tried to contact Browning but office was closed and I will try again on Monday. Thinking they will just refer me to their "Determine your rifle year" info which is incorrect. Thanks, Eugene

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2393 Times on 1190 Posts
Likes Given: 1216

Eugenelids,

This information migh help you!
According to Browning web site, the BLR was made in Belgium from 1969 to 1972 and in Japan from 1973 to present. K was the product code for the BLR. As yours is made in Japan, the 57 certainly means 75. For a reason I ignore, they sometime reverse the two digit representing the year of manufacture. So it would seem that yours would be manufactured in 1975 if that makes sense.
Best regards,

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 10-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Eugenelids,

This information migh help you!
According to Browning web site, the BLR was made in Belgium from 1969 to 1972 and in Japan from 1973 to present. K was the product code for the BLR. As yours is made in Japan, the 57 certainly means 75. For a reason I ignore, they sometime reverse the two digit representing the year of manufacture. So it would seem that yours would be manufactured in 1975 if that makes sense.
Best regards,

Thanks for your reply, you are correct. I finally got through to Browning and talked to the Historian, he informed me that in fact the numbers are in reverse and it is a 1975. Quite confusing I might add if anyone is not aware of this method when trying to determine the manufacture year of their rifle. Hope this helps others.