Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Browning BAR and Collecting? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/browning-bar-collecting-70512/)

TLuker 08-17-2012 01:23 AM

Browning BAR and Collecting?

I've looked at some older Browning BAR rifles and based on the prices they don't seem to be very popular with collectors. I was wondering if anyone had idea as to why? :)

tacticalfun 08-17-2012 01:27 AM

Ive seen some go at auction for 30-50k. Thats probably why

TLuker 08-17-2012 02:00 AM

I'm referring to the semi auto hunting rifles.

Garadex 08-17-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLuker (Post 906631)
I'm referring to the semi auto hunting rifles.

I can never get people to realize that I am talking about the semi-auto. All they hear is BAR and are like, "OMG WWII status I love that gun in [insert video game title here]!"

tacticalfun 08-17-2012 03:06 AM

Because most people dont refer to the modern semi autoloading .308 as a BAR on account of bar refers to an automatic rifle. Browning semi auto .308's are nice butttt...i'd buy an m1a over it every day of the week.

c3shooter 08-17-2012 03:06 AM

Because Browning had a much smaller marketing department than Winchester.

I have a Grade 2 BAR in .243 that is the most accurate semi I have had. They are incredibly well designed and built- but the fan base is the people that are using them to shoot things, and not to put in a glass case.

TLuker 08-18-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 906702)
Because Browning had a much smaller marketing department than Winchester.

I have a Grade 2 BAR in .243 that is the most accurate semi I have had. They are incredibly well designed and built- but the fan base is the people that are using them to shoot things, and not to put in a glass case.

That's sort of what has got me puzzled. For as long as I can remember the Browning BAR as been in a class of its own among hunters. There really wasn't any need for marketing. Every other semi auto hunting rifle was what you got if you couldn't afford a BAR (and I'm one of the ones that couldn't afford a BAR). I'm fortunate enough to be able to add one to the gun cabinet now and I started looking at older Belgium BAR's. I was surprised at how little they were bringing considering how popular they are among hunters? I know what they say about assumptions, but I just assumed early BAR's would have been very collectible considering how popular they are, or were?

Oh well, that just means I can get a really nice early Belgium BAR for a great price. :)

c3shooter 08-18-2012 01:24 AM

SHHHHHHH !!!!!

Not so loud, man! Your want prices to go up? :D

locutus 08-19-2012 08:26 PM

I have one in .338 WinMag.

It's a joy to shoot, kicks like a bolt action .270, and 3/4 MOA with 225 grain bullets.

But these guns are users, not collectors.

c3shooter 08-19-2012 10:11 PM

As said, BAR is the gun of a hunter or shooter, not gun of a collector. Why in the name of the Wide World of Sports would a Winchester 37 in .410 be worth $600? IT IS A FREAKIN' SINGLE SHOT 410 !!!!!

Answer- some collector will pay that.