Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Brought home savage 110

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Brought home savage 110

I picked up my first bolt action rifle today. It's a savage 110 in 7mm Remington magnum. I'm so excited to shoot it and can't wait for my scope to get in. I already feel the need to upgrade the scope that I was going to put on it. A Redfield 4-12. I'll try to upload pics but the app keeps crashing on my phone...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

First few minutes at its new home...

forumrunner_20131013_232613.jpg

Old 10-14-2013, 05:53 AM   #3

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Is she settling in nicely? I hope she doesn't go on the floor because she's scared

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Last edited by TheSadPanda; 10-14-2013 at 06:11 AM.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #4

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Congrats on the new rifle, it looks good. Be sure to give us a range report in the future.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyshot View Post
Congrats on the new rifle, it looks good. Be sure to give us a range report in the future.
I'm hoping to take it out this week but I'm not sure when my scope will come in.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 29 Posts

She needs a nutmeg laminate stock from boyds. Right around $100.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by wechols View Post
I'll check those out, I like the stock on it for hunting right now.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #8

Liked 746 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by wechols View Post
I have the same rifle and love it. I agree with changing the stock. The Savage stocks on the 110's are too light and the recoil can be quite stiff. I have not changed mine but plan to in the near future.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #9

Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 13

A note about the 7mm mag. - Be sure to let several minutes go by in-between shots at the range, so the inside of the barrel can cool down.

The barrel will always be a lot hotter inside than it feels like on the outside.

A lot of guys get excited and shoot several rounds, one after another. This will cause the area where the rifling starts to literally crystallize, like this:

( Click image to see it larger )

That bore-scope photo was taken from a 7mm Rem mag that looked like new on the outside. Inside though, it was evident that somebody had fired a bunch of shots in rapid order. Note how sharp the edge of the rifling is. - This gun didn't have many rounds through it - but it sure is fried!

You might hear stories about 7mm Mags that the barrel burns out, on. These stories tend to come from shooters that do not let the gun cool, between shots.

Sometimes I bring a second gun with me, to shoot while the other one cools down. - Or I'll linger over the spotting scope, looking at the group that I'm getting. The important thing is to let it cool with the action open for a while, between shots.

I bought a bore-snake for my Savage. I run it through with a little Hoppes #9 every few rounds, and this goes far in cooling down the barrel and keeping carbon and copper from building up in there. Especially with a new gun, it's important to clean it often, every two or three rounds or so. This breaks in the barrel so that it will shoot well.

When you are hunting, a quick second shot might be necessary - but you should never get in a hurry at the range.

Savages have a great reputation as accurate guns. The most accurate gun I own is a Savage. If you take good care of that 7mm Mag, it'll take care of you too and last a long time. Congratulations on a fine choice, that's a nice gun you have there.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 10-14-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
A note about the 7mm mag. - Be sure to let several minutes go by in-between shots at the range, so the inside of the barrel can cool down.

The barrel will always be a lot hotter inside than it feels like on the outside.

A lot of guys get excited and shoot several rounds, one after another. This will cause the area where the rifling starts to literally crystallize, like this:

( Click image to see it larger )

That bore-scope photo was taken from a 7mm Rem mag that looked like new on the outside. Inside though, it was evident that somebody had fired a bunch of shots in rapid order. Note how sharp the edge of the rifling is. - This gun didn't have many rounds through it - but it sure is fried!

You might hear stories about 7mm Mags that the barrel burns out, on. These stories tend to come from shooters that do not let the gun cool, between shots.

Sometimes I bring a second gun with me, to shoot while the other one cools down. - Or I'll linger over the spotting scope, looking at the group that I'm getting. The important thing is to let it cool with the action open for a while, between shots.

I bought a bore-snake for my Savage. I run it through with a little Hoppes #9 every few rounds, and this goes far in cooling down the barrel and keeping carbon and copper from building up in there. Especially with a new gun, it's important to clean it often, every two or three rounds or so. This breaks in the barrel so that it will shoot well.

When you are hunting, a quick second shot might be necessary - but you should never get in a hurry at the range.

Savages have a great reputation as accurate guns. The most accurate gun I own is a Savage. If you take good care of that 7mm Mag, it'll take care of you too and last a long time. Congratulations on a fine choice, that's a nice gun you have there.
Thanks, I'll keep all of that in mind when I'm at the range