Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Brought home savage 110 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/brought-home-savage-110-a-98745/)

95sniper 10-14-2013 03:25 AM

Brought home savage 110

I picked up my first bolt action rifle today. It's a savage 110 in 7mm Remington magnum. I'm so excited to shoot it and can't wait for my scope to get in. I already feel the need to upgrade the scope that I was going to put on it. A Redfield 4-12. I'll try to upload pics but the app keeps crashing on my phone...

95sniper 10-14-2013 03:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First few minutes at its new home...

Attachment 122371

TheSadPanda 10-14-2013 05:53 AM

Is she settling in nicely? I hope she doesn't go on the floor because she's scared :p

steadyshot 10-14-2013 10:36 AM

Congrats on the new rifle, it looks good. Be sure to give us a range report in the future.

95sniper 10-14-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steadyshot (Post 1401228)
Congrats on the new rifle, it looks good. Be sure to give us a range report in the future.

I'm hoping to take it out this week but I'm not sure when my scope will come in.

wechols 10-14-2013 12:14 PM

She needs a nutmeg laminate stock from boyds. Right around $100.

95sniper 10-14-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wechols (Post 1401285)

I'll check those out, I like the stock on it for hunting right now.

nchunt101 10-14-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wechols (Post 1401285)

I have the same rifle and love it. I agree with changing the stock. The Savage stocks on the 110's are too light and the recoil can be quite stiff. I have not changed mine but plan to in the near future.

Salvo 10-14-2013 06:53 PM

A note about the 7mm mag. - Be sure to let several minutes go by in-between shots at the range, so the inside of the barrel can cool down.

The barrel will always be a lot hotter inside than it feels like on the outside.

A lot of guys get excited and shoot several rounds, one after another. This will cause the area where the rifling starts to literally crystallize, like this:

( Click image to see it larger )

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps5638fe94.jpg

That bore-scope photo was taken from a 7mm Rem mag that looked like new on the outside. Inside though, it was evident that somebody had fired a bunch of shots in rapid order. Note how sharp the edge of the rifling is. - This gun didn't have many rounds through it - but it sure is fried!

You might hear stories about 7mm Mags that the barrel burns out, on. These stories tend to come from shooters that do not let the gun cool, between shots.

Sometimes I bring a second gun with me, to shoot while the other one cools down. - Or I'll linger over the spotting scope, looking at the group that I'm getting. The important thing is to let it cool with the action open for a while, between shots.

I bought a bore-snake for my Savage. I run it through with a little Hoppes #9 every few rounds, and this goes far in cooling down the barrel and keeping carbon and copper from building up in there. Especially with a new gun, it's important to clean it often, every two or three rounds or so. This breaks in the barrel so that it will shoot well.

When you are hunting, a quick second shot might be necessary - but you should never get in a hurry at the range.

Savages have a great reputation as accurate guns. The most accurate gun I own is a Savage. If you take good care of that 7mm Mag, it'll take care of you too and last a long time. Congratulations on a fine choice, that's a nice gun you have there.

95sniper 10-14-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvo (Post 1401545)
A note about the 7mm mag. - Be sure to let several minutes go by in-between shots at the range, so the inside of the barrel can cool down.

The barrel will always be a lot hotter inside than it feels like on the outside.

A lot of guys get excited and shoot several rounds, one after another. This will cause the area where the rifling starts to literally crystallize, like this:

( Click image to see it larger )

That bore-scope photo was taken from a 7mm Rem mag that looked like new on the outside. Inside though, it was evident that somebody had fired a bunch of shots in rapid order. Note how sharp the edge of the rifling is. - This gun didn't have many rounds through it - but it sure is fried!

You might hear stories about 7mm Mags that the barrel burns out, on. These stories tend to come from shooters that do not let the gun cool, between shots.

Sometimes I bring a second gun with me, to shoot while the other one cools down. - Or I'll linger over the spotting scope, looking at the group that I'm getting. The important thing is to let it cool with the action open for a while, between shots.

I bought a bore-snake for my Savage. I run it through with a little Hoppes #9 every few rounds, and this goes far in cooling down the barrel and keeping carbon and copper from building up in there. Especially with a new gun, it's important to clean it often, every two or three rounds or so. This breaks in the barrel so that it will shoot well.

When you are hunting, a quick second shot might be necessary - but you should never get in a hurry at the range.

Savages have a great reputation as accurate guns. The most accurate gun I own is a Savage. If you take good care of that 7mm Mag, it'll take care of you too and last a long time. Congratulations on a fine choice, that's a nice gun you have there.

Thanks, I'll keep all of that in mind when I'm at the range