British Enfield 303 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

British Enfield 303

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 446 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
Attachment 35703
This was my very first rifle, given to me 50 years ago when I was 13. It was sporterized by Golden State Arms. I recently (about 12 years ago) put a different stock and a scope on it. it is still my favorite rifle.
how long is the barrel on that? it looks shorter than the rest of ours. was that rebarrelled when sported it or was the stock one cut down to the length it is now?

Old 12-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1973 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 4473

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
how long is the barrel on that? it looks shorter than the rest of ours. was that rebarrelled when sported it or was the stock one cut down to the length it is now?
The magazine also looks like it was cut down, and the iron sights were changed. Most collectors frown on modifying a military rifle, but I think those done by Golden State arms are an exception. They have become collectible in their own right. I've heard of them but that's first one I've ever seen. Nice.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #23

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

Made in 1944 for the US Army, marked US Property, to be issued to its allies. The rifle also has an original Savage spike Savage Enfieild No.4 MkI .303 British 10-shot bolt action rifle. This rifle was manufactured by Savage during WWII,with bayonette and sheath.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/GUNS/015.jpg

Old 12-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 1093 Posts
Likes Given: 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
The magazine also looks like it was cut down, and the iron sights were changed. Most collectors frown on modifying a military rifle, but I think those done by Golden State arms are an exception. They have become collectible in their own right. I've heard of them but that's first one I've ever seen. Nice.
I can answer that, the barrel has been shortened & that is a 5 round mag......

Old 12-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #25

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
It is the origional barrel cut down to 22 inches and more modern sights. The magazine holds 5 rounds, I believe the mag was remanufactured by GSA. It origionaly had the cut down military stock but I made a maple stock out of skid wood. At the time I was 16 and pretty proud of it but it was only pie plate accurate because of my inability to shoot with the short sight radius. I added the synthetic stock and made scope mounts from a piece of angle iron, kind of ugly but it works well. It now shoots between 1 and 2 MOA with the low end scope on it. I'm satisfied with it, I have other more accurate guns if I need one.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #26

Liked 783 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Golden State Arms sporterized it originally back in the 1960's(?). They also sportered M1936 Mas rifles. They were a dime a dozen back then. They have no collectors value, but make dandy shooters.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #27

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Golden State Arms sporterized it originally back in the 1960's(?). They also sportered M1936 Mas rifles. They were a dime a dozen back then. They have no collectors value, but make dandy shooters.
The very first year I went hunting, I used a #4 Mk 1 that I borrowed from my uncle. I enjoyed hunting so much my Mom and Dad bought me the Santa Fe. They paid $37 at Sears for it. Little did they know what they started. That gun was the first of many and remains my favorite. The year was 1961.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #28

The .303 British is a much more superior round than the .303 Savage. And other posters are correct, they are not interchangeable. The .303 Savage is more in the .30-30 class of rifle, whereas the .303 British is approaching the .30-06 class, moving a 150 grain bullet in the 2500 fps neighborhood.
cottontop

Old 12-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #29

Liked 548 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Parker Hale made a commercial .303 on a Mk.4 action.I had one and sold it to finance my M98 actioned 30/06AI.
I wish I never sold it as it had a 5 shot mag standard BUT the beauty of this was that it could also take the military 10 shot mag as well which was great when getting stuck into a mob of pigs or goats.
I bought a 1945 Mk3 No1 .303 and restored it but as yet have not christened it yet on any pigs or goats.
I can get a 180gn Sierra pill to do around 2400fps and it groups around 2" at 100yds with open sights and the .303 will drop deer no worries at all especially Sambar Deer over here which are a very tough animal indeed,regards

Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #30

Likes Given: 1

Ive got a old Enfield longbranch that yall have stired up my intrest again in the old girl. I like some of those sporterized jobs yall got there.British Enfield 303 - General Rifle DiscussionBritish Enfield 303 - General Rifle Discussion