Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Breathing techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 79 Times on 57 Posts

Default Breathing techniques

Any suggestions on breathing techniques when shooting a rifle? My groups haven't been what they should be and I would like to here what you have to say. Hopefully axxe will chime in a few words of wisdom.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

I was taught the half-breath technique. Take a deep breath, let out half of it, press the trigger, exhale. It steadies the muscles in your body to tighten up groups without having you holding your breath more than a second.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #3

Liked 589 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

A thing to remember: trigger squeeze is just as important.

Take a deep breath
Let it all the way out
Breath in half way
While breathing in half way squeeze the trigger.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #4

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19
A thing to remember: trigger squeeze is just as important.

Take a deep breath
Let it all the way out
Breath in half way
While breathing in half way squeeze the trigger.
I agree with this. Work on your breathing technique, but be sure to pay attention to your other fundamentals. Steady position, cheek to stock, and your trigger squeeze are just as important.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #5

Liked 211 Times on 139 Posts

Just keep practicing. The inhaled breath doesn't have to be "deep" and you do not have to exhale "all the way" like your blowing up an air mattress lol.
If practice inhaling a short breath and exhaling you will notice an almost calmness and very short drop in heart rate when about halfway through the exhale. If you practice this can be accomplished very quickly. Snipers in combat don't always have 5-10 seconds to get their breathing ready before taking a shot.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB
Just keep practicing. The inhaled breath doesn't have to be "deep" and you do not have to exhale "all the way" like your blowing up an air mattress lol.
If practice inhaling a short breath and exhaling you will notice an almost calmness and very short drop in heart rate when about halfway through the exhale. If you practice this can be accomplished very quickly. Snipers in combat don't always have 5-10 seconds to get their breathing ready before taking a shot.
Glad I don't have to worry about being a sniper lol but would be cool to be as good of a shot. What's everyone's thought a out the trigger finger I'm good with handguns using the almost middle of my finger but I'm a very good shot not bragging by no means. But I've heard this was wrong should I go for tip of finger on the rifle trigger and try it out don't want to change it for handguns

Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1720 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 1966

Default Technique...........

Are you using iron sights or a scoped rifle, either way, are you comfortable in the position your in, sight in your target, squeeze out any slack you may have in your trigger, take a deep breath, let out half, hold till sights are on target, squeeze, don't pull the trigger. Follow the bullet path not the target. And I just love zingers, no matter how well you shoot...............lol......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum
Are you using iron sights or a scoped rifle, either way, are you comfortable in the position your in, sight in your target, squeeze out any slack you may have in your trigger, take a deep breath, let out half, hold till sights are on target, squeeze, don't pull the trigger. Follow the bullet path not the target. And I just love zingers, no matter how well you shoot...............lol......
I think that's a problem I have is the squeeze I think I pull sometimes not thinking about it causing flyers

Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #9

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 405

I was taught to shoot at the natural pause at the end of exhaling. If you are shooting with body support only(prone,sitting, kneeling, standing), then you want as much of the support of the rifle to be from bone as you can manage. Muscles demand oxygen and if they are under tension they will tremble. If they starve for oxygen they will tremble. If I'm taking my time I will take a couple preloading breaths that are deep and fairly quick, then take a slow breath as I watch my front sight or crosshairs get on the bullseye. It us best if they sit there after all of your breath is expelled. This means you have achieved a natural resting point if aim.

In your breathing pattern you will notice your body will have a natural pause at the end of exhaling and inhaling. The body moves least during these natural pauses and you aren't using your diaphragm and accessory muscles to hold the breath. If possible adjust body position until you have a natural point of aim that leaves you in target at a natural breathing pause.

Then squeeze the trigger.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
I was taught to shoot at the natural pause at the end of exhaling. If you are shooting with body support only(prone,sitting, kneeling, standing), then you want as much of the support of the rifle to be from bone as you can manage. Muscles demand oxygen and if they are under tension they will tremble. If they starve for oxygen they will tremble. If I'm taking my time I will take a couple preloading breaths that are deep and fairly quick, then take a slow breath as I watch my front sight or crosshairs get on the bullseye. It us best if they sit there after all of your breath is expelled. This means you have achieved a natural resting point if aim.

In your breathing pattern you will notice your body will have a natural pause at the end of exhaling and inhaling. The body moves least during these natural pauses and you aren't using your diaphragm and accessory muscles to hold the breath. If possible adjust body position until you have a natural point of aim that leaves you in target at a natural breathing pause.

Then squeeze the trigger.
Very good thoughts there. I will try this hopefully tomorrow pray atleast. Here in sc we haven't stopped getting rain for weeks now every day. But I understand what you mean by that because my arms start shaking heavily I just needed a way to calm myself when I do shoot standing