Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Breaking in a new Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well guys thanks again. Bear I not going to do any lapping myself but just wanted to know what it was. Last thing I want to do is kill my brand new gun. It dose seem that breaking in my barrel isnt going to hurt a thing and will help so Im sticking with that plan. Hey maybe someday ill be buying a barrel from bear.... Need to keep saving up!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:49 AM   #22

I'm a pretty average shooter, and can tell a big difference in a floated barrel and one that's not floated. I've seen it make as much as 1/2" or maybe more.

I own two rifles with lapped barrels, and I'm not sure they make a whole lot of difference. I was disappointed, in fact. I'm not great, but good enough to tell when it's me and when it's the rifle. Let's say the jury is still out.

I think with an average chamber and an average fitting stock, an average guy won't notice a huge improvement if he laps the bore. Same with turning necks on a cartridge...probably isn't worht it unless you ahve a match gun.

There are just so many factors involved in shooting, one change (except, for me, floating the barrel and bedding) doesn't make a huge difference. But do them all, and generally a rifle will shoot noticably tighter.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:07 AM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The way I see it is if you are going to spend $1000 on a gun you will probably have for the rest of your life, what the hell is two hours and 32 cleanings? Time well spent is what it is. If you forgoe the break-in and your $1000 gun doesn't shoot moa groups, you will ALWAYS wonder how good it MIGHT have shot had you spent the time to clean the barrel for the first 25 rounds. My DPMS AR-10 is a new gun with new metallurgical technology, and the manufacturer suggests a proper break-in. It shoots sub-moa with my handloads - I'm happy!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 03-31-2009, 02:15 AM   #24

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

What I like to do is take my barrels off and fill it with a good lithum grease and then bake it for 6 hours in a 475 deg oven. Careful your wife may not like you for doing this in the house.

It ain't gonna hurt a darn thing by doing it.

Just don't go get one of them tubbs final finish systems. Not sure what good shooting sandpaper coated bullets is going to do for accuracy.

I would just shoot and clean if you want to. If not them don't. It may just smooth the barrel out a little faster.

I don't do it I just shoot it and clean it at the end of the day. didn't hurt my 700 at all.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:51 AM   #25

Well the way I look at it now is this. “a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”

Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #26

Default Breaking in new barrel

Sorry guys for being uninformed but i am new to rifles. I own a few handguns but i have heard people talking about hand lapping what does that mean. I have to break in my 223 heavy barrel remington 700.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I guess I tend to get carried away because I'm doing it all the time, and seldom see rifles that the owner don't want extensively customized. Everybody has their own way of doing it, and that's mine. In my experience, hand lapping will clean up a bore (factory rifle) considerably. I do some tuning on factory rifles, and that's part of the package, as well as chamber work and action truing. It's sometimes shocking to see how good a properly tuned, otherwise factory rifle, will do. Basically you're tightening tolerances & hand fitting the factory cannot afford to do.

Hand lapping is NOT recommended for amateurs. It's VERY easy to destroy a barrel if you don't know what you are doing. Hand lapping is when you run an lead slug, slightly undersized & coated with fine lapping compound, the length of the barrel to slick & smooth up any microscopic burrs that will rip pieces of bullet jacket from the bullet. It improves accuracy, makes for an easier to clean barrel, USUALLY makes for more accuracy, and reduces fouling.I won't get into the actual nuts & bolts unless asked.

Hand lapping also uniforms the bore where it could have tight spots along the length of the bore. Proper hand lapping removes so little barrel material it cannot be measured by conventional means except for air gauging and so forth. That's the topic of another post. Dillinger is right that barrel steel, and manufacturing methods have vastly been improved within 1 or 2 generations.

Thats what you need to know,