Breaking in a new Barrel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Breaking in a new Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Breaking in a new Barrel

Breaking in a new Barrel

Well this topic seems to get mixed reviews, but on a new gun I plan doing only target shooting at 200-300yrds I want to make sure everything is done right. So who believes in the barrel break in, and what’s your method?

Oh my gun is a Savage 12FV in 223

Last edited by bessemerbob; 03-29-2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Info

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I FIRMLY believe in barrel break in and/or hand lapping the barrel. What I do is hand lap it, then clean between every round for the 1st 15-20 rounds, then clean between every 3 rounds for 20 rounds,then you're done.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

To break in my DPMS. AR in .308 the manual suggested to clean it after every shot for the first 25 rounds then after every10 shots up to 100 rds.. It shoots sub-moa groups now and it has an 18" bull barrel. I don't know if that's because of the break-in - but I'm sure it didn't hurt! The important thing in thr future is to clean it properly to remove all copper fouling.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 03-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #4

I really want to start this gun out right, I plan on speanding a lot of time and in the long run alot of money making this a great range gun. So I will be sure to spend the time breaking her in. So would it be ok to buy those bulk reloads to do this step. If Im going to be shooting that many rnds it would be nice to just go with some of the dirty cheep junk, or would it?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "dirty and cheap", but Ultramax comes to mind...stay away from steel cased crap as many manufacturers recommend against it's use for various reasons. You never mentioned what type of gun you are breaking in, but all of my AR's came with specific warnings against steel cased ammo. I can go into a long diatribe about why, but I think that's already been covered here somewhere. In either case these days you won't get 100 rds. of factory .308 ammo cheap. Even Wally World's Winchester FMJ's are $18/bx.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 03-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #6

I believe in shooting it to break it in. With a lot of rifle barrels now, especially hammer forged barrels, They're about as slick as they can be. It won't hurt to break in such a barrel, and most are now hammered, but I don't think it will do any good, either. No harm, no good...at least IMO. Even with cut rifling. What you're doing is shooting, cleaning, shooting, cleaning...ad infinitum. Why not just clean it after you shoot, same difference. Or is it?

However, it will insure you get your barrel clean. Savage does not hammer forge their barrels, a plus on them.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #7

I have the Savage 12FV in .223..... The dirty cheap ammo I was talking about is the ultramax. Its reloaded stuff you can get a box of 50 for like $20...... But its dirty dirty dirty!

Old 03-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #8

Don't tell me you didn't take my post down, because you DID.

I searched my Rem. 700 Police manual end to end, even in the foreign languages. There are torque spes for tightening the receiver screws. There's no discussion about barrel break in.

Just out of curiosity, because it's a new gun, I put it on the rack and ran a brush full of Hoppe's down the tube. Then I ran a jag/patch. The patch came out BLACK -- like the gun had been fired 50 times.

Couple wet patches and another dry, the dry patch came out clean. I don't think it's bullet fouling so much as maybe mfg. residue.

Let's note too that the sling swivels weren't tight. I took the barrel off the stock and gave it a rub down with a polymer lube/protectant that I have.

Jewell says don't oil the trigger mechanism. Jewell recommends that you flush out the trigger assy w/ lighter fluid or similar after running patches down the bore. (I use a bore guide to keep the solvent out of the trigger mech.)

The gun's NOT ready to shoot out of the box.

On a bench gun, I run patches every five shots anyway. We'll run patches every shot for the first 100 or so.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessemerbob View Post
I have the Savage 12FV in .223..... The dirty cheap ammo I was talking about is the ultramax. Its reloaded stuff you can get a box of 50 for like $20...... But its dirty dirty dirty!

If you can find Ultramax ammo for $20 per 50, I'll take it all! Have you shot Ultramax ammo or are you basing the comment about it being "dirty" on word of mouth, or price? It's cheaper than new factory, but it's certainly not in the surplus price category. Factory direct I have a price list showing $124/200 of the cheapest .308 they offer which is 110 grain Sierra HP.

Ultramax's reman ammo is not at all "dirty" and I have shot TONS in .40 S&W, .223 and .308.

Not trying to jump on you, just wondering if you have experience with Ultramax.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #10

Just passing on what I have been told. Never shot it myself, but people have almost slapped it out of my hand when I pick up a box at the gun shop......