Break-in a rifle - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Break-in a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

While we are on the subject of breaking in barrels, do polishing rounds like Tubbs Bore Lapping Ammunition help?

Old 10-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 1180 Posts
Likes Given: 4058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheshop View Post
"Breaking it in" may be where some of the problem is.....semantics.

The reason we shoot/clean new brrls is to simply find out...as quickly as possible...how this particular brrl "likes" to be cleaned.

>Some brrls like a cpl bxs through them,cleaning is a breeze....they hold good accuracy for a long time WRT cleaning protocol.

>Next brrl comes through and will see groups opening at around the one bx(20) count.Its a pain to clean,irrespective of methods.

Personally,the sooner I find out the way a particular brrl is...the better.We're also looking at other "signs" on a new rifle.Ammo from a reloading standpoint.And the stocks bedding/likes/dislikes.Another is somewhat subjective but closly watching accuracy as the brrl heats up.....then trying to tie this in with above.Stopping to clean early on simply adds to the experience.....figuratively and literally(see above about fouling).

Do what you want,its your rifle.
Great point. Doing a break-in certainly gives you some quality shooting and cleaning time, which is the first step in figuring out your gun.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
While we are on the subject of breaking in barrels, do polishing rounds like Tubbs Bore Lapping Ammunition help?
I have wondered the same thing. I assume the Tubb company did extensive testing to prove the product works but i have a hard time with the thought of shooting a sand paper bullet down my gun barrel. I would think it would prematurely wear the rifling and create sloppy tolerances.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #34

Well, i just did the 1 shot-clean for 25 rounds followed up by two sets of 3 shots-clean, followed up by a 5 shots-clean and finally a 10 shots-clean. I cant tell any difference in my cleaning pads between the first shot and the last. Oh well, gave it a shot. I cant afford to keep shooting that many rounds just to break it in. Used Butches Bore Shine in the Remington SPS varmint barrel.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #35

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

OK, here is why you need to break in a barrel. When you machine metal tiny burs are left on the metal. There is no modern machining practice that doesn't leave these burs. Even if the metal is polished the burs might be microscopic but they still exist. Cleaning your rifle a few extra times will remove these burs faster than just shooting it.

Yes, a nylon brush is more abrasive than a brass brush. If any of you do a lot of fishing you have had to have new eyes put on on your favorite fishing rod because the monofilament cut into the ceramic liners of the rod eyes. This ceramic material is harder than a rifle barrel. The brass just bends or breaks if you use an oversized brush. A nylon brush just bends and keeps applying the same pressure.

For you Mosin Nagant owners: If you ever use a drill to clean a rifle barrel, try to use a half inch heavy duty drill. A 3/8 drill is much faster than a half inch drill. With a half inch drill you can use it's power to slowly spin the brush to safely clean/smooth the barrel.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 1180 Posts
Likes Given: 4058

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
Well, i just did the 1 shot-clean for 25 rounds followed up by two sets of 3 shots-clean, followed up by a 5 shots-clean and finally a 10 shots-clean. I cant tell any difference in my cleaning pads between the first shot and the last. Oh well, gave it a shot. I cant afford to keep shooting that many rounds just to break it in. Used Butches Bore Shine in the Remington SPS varmint barrel.
Just out of curiosity could you feel a difference in the bore? I ask because I can usually feel a difference in the in the cleaning rod after breaking in a barrel. It feels smoother but also requires a little more pressure to slide through the barrel (with a patch).

I would also recommend you use some JB bore cleaner (assuming it can still be found). Just follow the directions on the container. Apply now and then in the next 200 or 300 rounds. It's also great for used rifles.

Last edited by TLuker; 11-08-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #37

Have to say that i really didnt pay attention. My first patch looks every bit as black as before i did the break in but it cleans up with maybe two or three less patched when its all said and done. Im over it now and just plan to shoot it.