Break-in a rifle - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Break-in a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

The biggest problem in this debate is not whether it works or not. It is the fact that neither side can prove it works. Their are variables that are different in every barrel.

It comes down to you. If you like doing it and believe it helps, then do it. If you feel that it is hogwash then don't do it. Today's rifles, are extremely accurate from the factory, the steel used today is more consistent than ever before, the tooling is much better. So the products produced on it are more precise.

If you are dealing with a custom barrel they are lapped and polished at the factory. What many people fail to understand is that no matter what a chamber has to be cut into that barrel. In the process of cutting that chamber it is going to leave tooling marks in the throat of the barrel. That is what you are trying to get rid of.

Last edited by gunnut07; 10-17-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #22

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07
The biggest problem in this debate is not whether it works or not. It is the fact that neither side can prove it works. Their are variables that are different in every barrel.

It comes down to you. If you like doing it and believe it helps, then do it. If you feel that it is hogwash then don't do it. ......
I completely agree.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Put STP in your car and or truck and it will get you to the moon and back with out an oil change, plus add ten miles to the gallon of gas.......

Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #24

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Put STP in your car and or truck and it will get you to the moon and back with out an oil change, plus add ten miles to the gallon of gas.......
Nothing will change unless you drive a race car to work. STP helps engines with loose tolerances. STP helps the engine build up higher oil pressure so the oil works as a bearing. Todays car engines have very tight tolerances. All STP will do is create a need to rebuild your engine as often as John Force.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #25

Liked 2057 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I love how these threads always morph into something else - does anybody have advice as to the best way to season a new cast iron skillet? lol

(fyi, I tried Remoil AND STP; makes the bacon taste bad.......)
willshoum Likes This 
Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Break In......

The only thing I can see here, as for so called Break in, Is that the parts of said rifle and or semi auto pistol don't function like they should. The tighter the tollerence the harder it is for the gun to operate. The A k 47 is a good example.....A tighter tolerence will give you better group on the target but will also require more frequent cleaning. Suggest you research cold bore shots vrs. Hot......Even after cleaning the rifle bore for storage, it is recomended to fire a few rounds, thats if your using a non corrosive ammo....Can you name one other gun other than the AK 47 with such loose parts, and never fails to fire.....No break in needed.....

Old 10-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I love how these threads always morph into something else - does anybody have advice as to the best way to season a new cast iron skillet? lol

(fyi, I tried Remoil AND STP; makes the bacon taste bad.......)
See past post......Or send me a PM.......

Old 10-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1260 Posts
Likes Given: 4467

I'm a firm believer in breaking in a barrel. I can feel a difference in the bore after breaking in. When you slide a patch down the barrel it is noticeably smoother. A smooth barrel with the right type of patch will literally whistle when you slide the patch down the barrel. That results in less copper fouling which does affect accuracy. All the cleaning removes the fouling from the barrel so that the next round contacts the steel of the barrel rather than copper fouling deposited from the previous round. That lets the bullets smooth out the tool marks and burrs in the barrel, which is what causes a barrel to be rough. It also lets the bullet even out the high spots on the lands where the bullet first contacts them.

Premium custom barrels do not need breaking in because they are all hand lapped. The reason for the hand lapping is to smooth out the barrel. Production barrels are not hand lapped.

Oil in the barrel is a different issue. That causes hydraulic pressure to build up and can do all sorts of damage and crazy stuff with accuracy. Run a patch with oil down the barrel before storing, but always run a dry patch down a barrel before shooting.
Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did the same as you. Or very similar and it made me feel good about my rifle. So I think it comes down to whatever makes you trust your rifle. I have a .270 weather by vanguard s2 synthetic

Old 10-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #30

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

"Breaking it in" may be where some of the problem is.....semantics.

The reason we shoot/clean new brrls is to simply find out...as quickly as possible...how this particular brrl "likes" to be cleaned.

>Some brrls like a cpl bxs through them,cleaning is a breeze....they hold good accuracy for a long time WRT cleaning protocol.

>Next brrl comes through and will see groups opening at around the one bx(20) count.Its a pain to clean,irrespective of methods.

Personally,the sooner I find out the way a particular brrl is...the better.We're also looking at other "signs" on a new rifle.Ammo from a reloading standpoint.And the stocks bedding/likes/dislikes.Another is somewhat subjective but closly watching accuracy as the brrl heats up.....then trying to tie this in with above.Stopping to clean early on simply adds to the experience.....figuratively and literally(see above about fouling).

Do what you want,its your rifle.