Break-in a rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Break-in a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Next shooting urban legend: cryo-treating your barrel will tighten your groups and keep your barrel from shifting as it heats up. True or false?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
If you want a shiny bore so you can take pictures of it to post on the Internet I would highly recommend the procedure.
Still butthurt from me schooling you on this issue... Good!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 426

I just built a precision ar15 with a barrel from krieger. Their ritual was 1 shot clean five times then 3 shots clean then 5 shots clean. And done. They state its not to do anything rifling wise but to smooth out the reamer burrs so the metal all lays flat without gunk building up.

They state that if you do this on their barrels it makes cleaning easier and helps hold accuracy longer without as much gunk building up.

I must say after following their ritual my krieger takes no time to clean. Much easier.

Whatever gun you have only run brushes patches etc one way. From breach to muzzle. Never scrub a barrel like your washing a bottle. Scrubbing back and forth is what ruins barrels. Just like sharpening a knife. You dont scrape a knife back and forth down a stone.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 280 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 125

All barrels are not created equal and all do not come from the factory smooth & polished, free from *^%# defects. See mini -14 section on lapping the barrel or loading special bullets to accomplish the same thing but you shoot your barrel smooth.

The concept is kinda old. Has anyone ever had an average shooting gun and it's this way for years - then it starts to shoot GREAT. You smoothed it out the old fashioned way - you shot it ! .

If your barrel IS already perfect - congrats - now keep it that way.

Competition shooters can be superstitious folk and I will leave it to the shooter to decide which "apply" to them & their routine. But if you spent the extra $$$ on a good barrel, why not spend the extra minute to run a snake down the barrel ? (Counts as a cleaning in my book)

Old 10-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #15

Liked 140 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 12

here's what I do for all my new gun/barrels. First use Hoppes #9 solvent with a Bronze brush 4 or 5 passes will do. Then a jag and a patch until clean. Next use a tight bore mop with JB Bore Paste 500 strokes. That's 250 in and 250 out. Clean up after with 1 dry patch. Hasn't failed me yet.

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #16

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
I don't know what to believe. My factory manual and guys at the local range claim that you have to break in the barrel to get the best accuracy. Guys on this forum and some shooting journalists (Dave Petzel) say the break in requirement is nonsense.
I really wonder, at the end of the day, what difference it makes? Many rifles today are sub MOA "out of the box". I know plenty of shooters who agree, the "breaking in" thing is a bunch of hogwash - never ever did it and are satisfied with the results they attained. I won't bet the farm that it doesn't make a difference, but I strongly suspect that it does not.

You want great accuracy? Get a decent scope, know how to work it, and practice practice practice - give your barrel a good cleaning after every range trip. OR - swab your rifle 500 times if it makes you feel better. You'll be too tired to shoot afterwards, but hey lol

Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #17

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Cosomoline or any metal preservative contains petroleum distillates. When you burn oil on steel it leaves carbon deposits in the pores of the metal. If you burn enough oil in the barrel of a rifle the carbon deposits will effect the accuracy of the rifle. So the gunsmith is on the right track...what he is prescribing might be overkill but it has merit. You should never oil the barrel of a rifle unless you plan to store it.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #18

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 86

IDK, Rem Oil seems like fairly volatile stuff. It's gone pretty quick. Or it seems that way. I agree you don't want grease in the bore, but some light oil cant hurt can it?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 10-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #19

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
IDK, Rem Oil seems like fairly volatile stuff. It's gone pretty quick. Or it seems that way. I agree you don't want grease in the bore, but some light oil cant hurt can it?
Have you ever seen burnt valve in an older V8 engine? The O-rings that seal the valve go bad. A small amount of oil drips down on the valve each time you shut off the engine. In short order carbon builds up on the valve until the valve fails to operate properly and the engine starts missing.

If you oil your barrel every time you come home from the range carbon builds up in your barrel in just the same fashion. The carbon build up isn't as fast because gun oil is much lighter than motor oil, but carbon is building up.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid

Still butthurt from me schooling you on this issue... Good!
I'm not sure I understand the use of "butthurt" is that a reference to a childhood camping trip you had with an uncle?

As far as being "schooled" ...well frankly LOL.
I thought my post here was accurate, you have made it clear you are not saying there is an accuracy increase only that the rifle is easier to clean and to that end you have shown us your shiny bore. I stated that if this was the desired result then the process is good, doesn't this mean we agree ?

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

People Like This