Break-in a rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Break-in a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Break-in a rifle

My gunsmith recomend me to break-in my new and first rifle. That's the first time I heard about break-in a gun(I have a glock and a ruger 10/22). He told me to first shoot the rifle and then cleaning it with a cleaning patch with solvent two times and then two times more with a dry cleaning patch. He then told me to do this process 20 times. Then the same process with 5 shoot for 4 times (20 in total).
Is this process very common with rifle or with common guns? I never did it with my ruger or the pistol glock.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I never have done as described. I take any gun that is new to me, drag a bore snake through the barrel, make sure the internals and metal to metal parts are clean and oiled and let 'r rip tater chip.

I asked a 'smith one time about that shoot once, clean twice, etc. on my AR15 and the 'smith said it was not necessary. Give the gun a normal cleaning and oiling hit the range.

I suppose if I was trying to put 3 bullets in the same hole at 500 yards it might be something to consider, but that is not my cup of tea.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

DO a search . One of the best match grade barrel makers thats no longer with us says if you have the money to waste gutting the inside of a barrel you have more money than smarts . He stated that barrel makers say to do this to get you to buy a new barrel sooner , it causes premature wear on the grooves . Do what you want but I run a patch thru it to clean the barrel when new and roll with it . He also states that nylon brushes cause more wear than brass brushes if you do go that crazy route .

Old 10-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

That break in procedure is close to the one called for in the Weatherby Vanguard owner's manual.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #5

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

What is the premise here? I mean, what do you hope to avoid or accomplish by cleaning it a million times over just shooting it? It makes no sense. Can someone explain the thought process?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 10-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

HUH? Somebody is strokin' somebody else here methinks

Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #7

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Breaking in a barrel is pure utter BS. It is just there to make you shoot more and wear out your barrel. It will not make a factory barrel any more accurate, and if a custom barrel maker says to do it well then they are just not doing their job right and you shouldn't be buying their barrels.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan
What is the premise here? I mean, what do you hope to avoid or accomplish by cleaning it a million times over just shooting it? It makes no sense. Can someone explain the thought process?
It depends on the person making the argument but interestingly even gun and barrel makers don't agree.
There is a hypothesis that cleaning between each round increases the contact with the barrel and smooths the surface more effectively.
If you want a shiny bore so you can take pictures of it to post on the Internet I would highly recommend the procedure.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #9

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I don't understand the metallurgical science behind breaking in a barrel. Unless the manufacturer stinks, the barrel should be polished, etc before it leaves the factory. If there are burrs, defects and so on, do you really want to run even 1 bullet through it? Not me! What are we talking about, seasoning a cast iron Dutch oven? Lol

This sounds like gun accessories industries' version of the "drink red wine for health benefits" lie that was found out to be invented by a wine marketer, not the medical industry. Clean and maintain rifles routinely. 'Nuff said

Old 10-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I don't know what to believe. My factory manual and guys at the local range claim that you have to break in the barrel to get the best accuracy. Guys on this forum and some shooting journalists (Dave Petzel) say the break in requirement is nonsense.