Brand new Steyr aug a3-shot first time today
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Brand new Steyr aug a3-shot first time today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Brand new Steyr aug a3-shot first time today

The price just dropped a few hundred on the new Steyr Aug A3, so after 10 years of wanting one decided to get one.

Today was the day I went out to shoot it the first time. I wasnt overly impressed with it. Its still a cool gun to own, but If the world comes to an end Ill grab my AK or AR as I run out the door and leave the Aug Behind.

The gun had issues getting the first round into the chamber. using the release button on the back side didnt feed the first round...I had to pull the bolt back and slowly start the first rough and then let go..sometimes having to pull it back 1/2 way and let it slam a 2nd time....I let a friend try it and he also struggled... When i got home i tore the gun apart & cleaned everything, then went out on the deck and loaded and unloaded it several times with different clips....seems to work now....

the trigger is really horrible...I think I own 15 guns...worst trigger by far of the 15....Im amazed how accurate i could shoot with that bad trigger..you could feel it going through different tensions and feel when its about to go..not smooth at all....anyone got a trigger job or know of a replacement trigger for it?

the gun get really hot!....i was amazed how 120 rounds over the course of 2 hour made it that hot....still hot when i took it out of the case 20 min later at home to clean....strange...

comes apart very strangely and seems to have too many parts.....nothing like an AK thats for sure.....

I have a leopold CQ/T scope on it....I was able to shoot accurately with it..scope was fine

standing up w/ 1x on the scope i was able to hit the target very nicely at 25 and 50 yards...standing accuracy was about the same at 25 & 50...i was impressed...because of the trigger i found it difficult to shoot fast though.. in an end of the world scenario my opponant would have shot me 3x before i was able to pull the trigger...i would have gotten him for sure if he had missed me those 3x.

Im just looking for feedback on gun....is it just me?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Did you clean it really good first. You would be amazed what you find in brand new guns. My remmy looked like it spend 6 months in iraq it was so dirty.

Plus

thisthreadisworthless1.jpg

Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #3

cleaned the gun and then went on my back porch w/ a few live rounds and practiced loading and unloading...the gun seems to function correctly now, so cleaning it was the issue....it sure didnt look dirty when i took it apart though...for a military rifle i wouldnt expect so little to make it malfunction....

$2,800 and not impressed

Old 08-31-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I would love to see some close-ups of your rifle.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

They are definately cool looking and I always wanted one also - but at $2800? I'd rather have two AR's..or even six AK's.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"