Boy, Did I Luck Out!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Boy, Did I Luck Out!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #1

Default Boy, Did I Luck Out!

I have wanted a .257 Roberts to add to my collection for some time now. I was going to build one as I had a nice M96 Swedish action lying around; but as things happen, I traded it off in a weak moment. I thought about getting a new one and the only ones currently cataloging a Roberts is Ruger. I have a couple of Ruger No. 1's, so I am familiar w/ Ruger quality. But, my LGS could not locate one from any of their distributors.

I found a M77 Mark II on Gunbroker, bid on it, and won it. For $519 plus shipping, I think it was a good deal. When it arrived I could barely believe what good shape it was in. According to the serial number, it was made around 1999. It looked brand new w/ nary a scratch on it. I have read all of the negative reports on how bad the Ruger triggers are on the M77, so I had planned on buying and installing a new trigger. But, when I checked the trigger pull, I couldn't believe how nice it was. No creep or over travel and it broke at a crisp 2.5 pounds! Someone had obviously already done a trigger job on it.

I ordered a set of RCBS dies before the rifle came and made up some brass from .30-06 brass and loaded up 50 rounds of various powders and bullet weights to test. I mounted a Swarovski 3-10x on it and can't wait to try it out this Friday morning.

I believe the part that I lucked out about is the fact that the trigger is so nice!
ct

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 719 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 744

We Need Pics!!!!!!!! Congrats!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #3

JP, for some reason I have had trouble posting pics on this forum. When I try to post one, something different posts. Computers and me still don't get along even though I had to use one for years in my classroom before I retired.
I will try.
ct

Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #4

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=344885446

This is the gun and the GB ad.
ct

Old 06-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #5

Liked 719 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 744

Very sweet! You need to open a photo bucket account. It is free. Easy to use. You can also keep you albums private if you choose. Great way to catalog firearms for insurance also.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

cottontop Likes This 
Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

VERY nice! For pix, try this- When you are typing, there is a white smiley face above the words. To the right of smiley is a paperclip. Click paperclip, then browse. Click to where you have photo stored, click photo, open, and you are back to browse screen. click upload, wait, then close. NOW when you go back to paperclip, you will see file name on the dropdown. Click that, inserts photo. Sounds complex, only takes about 5 clicks.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

cottontop Likes This 
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2141 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 3250

Congrats on a very nice rifle.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #8

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
From the picture you did just fine,rang report needed!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Very sweet! You need to open a photo bucket account. It is free. Easy to use. You can also keep you albums private if you choose. Great way to catalog firearms for insurance also.

Thanks JP, I will do that.
ct

Old 06-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
VERY nice! For pix, try this- When you are typing, there is a white smiley face above the words. To the right of smiley is a paperclip. Click paperclip, then browse. Click to where you have photo stored, click photo, open, and you are back to browse screen. click upload, wait, then close. NOW when you go back to paperclip, you will see file name on the dropdown. Click that, inserts photo. Sounds complex, only takes about 5 clicks.
Thanks for the info c3. That will help.
ct