Bought a Mosin Nagant, 1938 Tula
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bought a Mosin Nagant, 1938 Tula

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bought a Mosin Nagant, 1938 Tula

Still at the gun shop, delayed for now, but it was in pretty good condition, the stock was a lil beat up, but I could pass up a pre-war Mosin. It even had the Ministry of Defense's symbol on it. Shiny brass clamps as well. Missing from the strap slits though, but eh, not a huge deal.

Anyways, I went about picking out stuff for it, you know, cleaning tools, I'm all good on that.

I bought one of those 7.99$ Trigger Springs supposed to make it need a little more pull and a little less hair trigger. Tried finding a breaker for it, but most I read about work 10 times or so then either melt or fly off and could damage the Mosin or you. I read about buying a AK47 breaker and threading it to the barrel, but that isn't something I know much about. I hear it reduces the recoil very nicely.

As for a scope, I don't want to go Scout, as that's much more frustrating to use.

So obviously I need a mount installed and was looking at the ATI kit. That requires drilling and tapping, which I am hoping I could find a gun smith to do.

That a good idea?

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Mosin-Nagant-Scope-Handle/dp/B000O7D2XG

I hear the bolt is utter crap though and would most likely replace it with another, though they are expensive, 75-80$.

https://www.buymilsurp.com/bolt-body-ati-sporter-mosin-nagant-rifles-p-78.html

Looks nice, but expensive!

As for a scope, I've no real idea on that just yet, but was looking for something to not break the bank.

Be using this for target shooting and perhaps deer hunting.

Definitely want a scope.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride View Post
Still at the gun shop, delayed for now, but it was in pretty good condition, the stock was a lil beat up, but I could pass up a pre-war Mosin. It even had the Ministry of Defense's symbol on it. Shiny brass clamps as well. Missing from the strap slits though, but eh, not a huge deal.

Anyways, I went about picking out stuff for it, you know, cleaning tools, I'm all good on that.

I bought one of those 7.99$ Trigger Springs supposed to make it need a little more pull and a little less hair trigger. Tried finding a breaker for it, but most I read about work 10 times or so then either melt or fly off and could damage the Mosin or you. I read about buying a AK47 breaker and threading it to the barrel, but that isn't something I know much about. I hear it reduces the recoil very nicely.

As for a scope, I don't want to go Scout, as that's much more frustrating to use.

So obviously I need a mount installed and was looking at the ATI kit. That requires drilling and tapping, which I am hoping I could find a gun smith to do.

That a good idea?

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Mosin-Nagant-Scope-Handle/dp/B000O7D2XG

I hear the bolt is utter crap though and would most likely replace it with another, though they are expensive, 75-80$.

https://www.buymilsurp.com/bolt-body-ati-sporter-mosin-nagant-rifles-p-78.html

Looks nice, but expensive!

As for a scope, I've no real idea on that just yet, but was looking for something to not break the bank.

Be using this for target shooting and perhaps deer hunting.

Definitely want a scope.

Thanks for any suggestions.
You have never shot a mosin, have you? You definitely do not need to make the trigger pull any heavier. Most of the time, they are already pretty heavy.

What is wrong with your bolt? Is it something that could be fixed? Remember, this is an $80 rifle. You don't want to put an $80 bolt on it unless you have to because the rifle's value will not change.

As for the brass missing from the sling slits, are you sure they're actually missing? IIRC, The Russians made a number of Mosins without them. The link below will help you decide yours did or didn't. Just look around a bit on it, and it will show you some of the variances between rifles. You may also learn a little about your rifle too.

http://7.62x54r.net/

I can't help you with the scope, I've never looked into putting one on mine.

Don't forget to buy a spam can (440 rds) of ammo for it. They run about $80-$90. (you may want to buy the can opener that goes to it too.) I have a 1939 Tula Mosin, and love it, so hopefully you love yours too. Have fun and happy shooting.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 08-14-2012 at 02:33 PM.
vincent Likes This 
Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You can remove the rear sight and use the rail it sits on to mount a scope. No drilling or tapping. Go on YouTube and check out your options a bit.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Last edited by mountainman13; 08-14-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
You can remove the rear sight and use the rail it sits on to mount a scope. No drilling or tapping.
Isn't that a Scout Scope? I said I don't want that.

Well I read that most peoplle go for the trigger pin upgrade.

As for the bolt, yes it is needed, if I get a scope, the straight bolt will not work with it.

Also, whomever prefers a straight bolt to a bent bolt is weird. Much more natural, bent, that is.

And yes, I can see they are missing because there are idents and one of the sides of the sling-throughs has it. I wish I could find for like 4$ a couple of little brass ones just to complete the set. I could make them myself, but that'd kind of be an annoying experience.

As for an 80$ rifle, it cost me 149$. You can get them abit cheaper online; but once you do shipping, and FFL fee's, you get pretty much to the same point or more.

As for the Surplus ammo, I know if it, and it's corrosive, which is fine, I will use that for target shooting. I got 6x 20 round cans of it for 23$. The 440 round ones I looked at for about 64-72$ on another website and thought better of it; way to many rounds.

on Buds gun shop I got 120 rounds for 23$. I'm fine with that. It's the 1970 stuff as well.

I've been to that website before as well, very useful website.

For Soft Point, I will go Wolf or Brown Bear. 6.95$ per 20 for Wolf, 9.95$ for Brown Bear. Wolf is out of stock everywhere though, so we'll see. DOn't need to many rounds for hunting.

I Figured 120 rounds will be fine for next Monday when I go out and try shooting this.

I ordered a rubber butt stock as well, to help with the recoil, as I heard these things will kick like a mule and can leave a bruised shoulder. I got all the little accessories a well, so I plan to take it apart and clean it completely before use.

Got to get that Cosmoline off as well, I heard Simple green + water + vigorous brushing = 30-40 minutes.

Or a trash bag + outside all day. We'll see.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Appearantly missed the point of this post. Enjoy the gun.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride View Post
Isn't that a Scout Scope? I said I don't want that.

Well I read that most peoplle go for the trigger pin upgrade.

As for the bolt, yes it is needed, if I get a scope, the straight bolt will not work with it.

Also, whomever prefers a straight bolt to a bent bolt is weird. Much more natural, bent, that is.

And yes, I can see they are missing because there are idents and one of the sides of the sling-throughs has it. I wish I could find for like 4$ a couple of little brass ones just to complete the set. I could make them myself, but that'd kind of be an annoying experience.

As for an 80$ rifle, it cost me 149$. You can get them abit cheaper online; but once you do shipping, and FFL fee's, you get pretty much to the same point or more.

As for the Surplus ammo, I know if it, and it's corrosive, which is fine, I will use that for target shooting. I got 6x 20 round cans of it for 23$. The 440 round ones I looked at for about 64-72$ on another website and thought better of it; way to many rounds.

on Buds gun shop I got 120 rounds for 23$. I'm fine with that. It's the 1970 stuff as well.

I've been to that website before as well, very useful website.

For Soft Point, I will go Wolf or Brown Bear. 6.95$ per 20 for Wolf, 9.95$ for Brown Bear. Wolf is out of stock everywhere though, so we'll see. DOn't need to many rounds for hunting.

I Figured 120 rounds will be fine for next Monday when I go out and try shooting this.

I ordered a rubber butt stock as well, to help with the recoil, as I heard these things will kick like a mule and can leave a bruised shoulder. I got all the little accessories a well, so I plan to take it apart and clean it completely before use.

Got to get that Cosmoline off as well, I heard Simple green + water + vigorous brushing = 30-40 minutes.

Or a trash bag + outside all day. We'll see.
I just used super hot water for the metal, and a heater for the wood. It got most of the cosmoline off, and I didn't have to scrub anything.

These people sell a bent bolt for the Mosin for about $55 with shipping included. http://mosinnagant.net/boltman/boltman.html I have never done business with them, but it might be worth looking into.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, been looking at alot of websites. His are tempting at those prices.

I'm going to decide once I go shooting with it exactly what I want to do with it.

Man, I wish I could find a Kar98 for 150-250$, I would have gone that route instead...even reproduction ones are 450-500$.