Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Boresnakes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/boresnakes-84225/)

mchoitz 02-14-2013 08:44 PM

Boresnakes

I've heard the best way to clean your rifle when you are trying to squeeze as much accuracy out of it as you can is to use cloth and a composite rod with a guide, so does that mean boresnakes that have the bristles are bad?

kalboy26 02-14-2013 09:15 PM

Hope not, that is primarily what I use. I usually run it through dry a couple times, then put some oil on the end the last time through. I have on occasion put solvent on the front end and oil on the back, but I'm still not sure how I feel about that method. I guess I'm just worried I will leave solvent in there. Love the bore snakes though. Never heard anything about them effecting accuracy.

mchoitz 02-14-2013 09:25 PM

Boresnakes are great, I'll still definitely use for my .22 but I was planning on getting a new rifle for 500+ yard shots and didn't want to ruin it in any way

locutus 02-14-2013 10:25 PM

Back in great grand daddy's day, vigorous scrubbing with a bristle brush would harm the bore. Thev steel back then was pretty soft.

Weapons made after WW2 use better steel.

I wouldn't advise a stainless steel brush, but you can clean your bore with a phospher bronze or nylon brush til the cows come home with no ill effect.

GunMouse 02-14-2013 10:49 PM

Rods and patches in my opinion never did the job really well. So I also used bore snakes myself. The Bristles are fine, However my experience with them is they ware down pretty fast. Otherwise they can work well and it is the reason I made the Gun Mouse and did away with the bristles.

Rick1967 02-15-2013 12:12 AM

I use a cleaning rod and brass or nylon brush with Hoppes No. 9 first. After I have scrubbed it good then I run the boresnake through it a few times. I throw them in the washer every now and then to clean them up.

Mick3411 02-15-2013 12:26 AM

I just tried the Gun Mouse (advertised on this site) as an alternative to a bore snake. I really liked the way it worked. It is kind of a rough material all the way through and is thick enough to completely fill the void. Did a really good job. A little cheaper than individual bore snakes as well.

TLuker 02-15-2013 02:21 AM

Use a copper or nylon brush with a good rod and a solvent. I like Hoppes #9. Run it down the barrel 5 times and then let it soak for 5 minutes to dissolve copper. Then run it down the barrel 5 more times. There are better copper removers but this has always worked for me. Stay away from anything with over %25 ammonia. It's not good for stainless. Then use a soaked patch until it comes out clean. Finish up with dry patches until dry.

Bore snakes are good for debris but are about useless for copper, which for me still makes them about useless.

Just my .02 :)

Txhillbilly 02-15-2013 03:10 AM

Bore snakes are good to use out in the field to clear any debris (dirt-dust-etc)that might get into your bore,but as for a cleaning tool they are useless. All you are doing after the first pass is dragging a dirty rag thru your bore.
The OTIS cleaning system is 10x better than a Boresnake if that's what you really want to use for cleaning.
I clean all of my guns with a quality 1pc rod/patches/brushes,and that's all I will use to clean them. I have several calibers of Boresnakes,but they are only used in the field if I happen to get some foreign particles in my bore.

bamashooter68 02-15-2013 03:52 AM

Bore snakes are fine if you havent shot a ton of rounds and you want to clean the barrel up. Heavy use like over 25rds or so I would use a bronze brush and hoppes with my otis system on my 22lr and 223 rifles. Bolt actions always get the rod and brushes followed by patches until cleaned. This is how I use my bore snake and this gun mouse thing sounds cool.