Boresight
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Boresight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Boresight

I am looking into getting a boresight for my .243 and 30-06. Any recommendations on what to look for and what to stay away from? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

We've got a green laser that fits into the end of the barrel. It has a bushing that you change depending on the caliber of weapon you are using it in. Having the laser green makes it easy when sighting a "red-dot" or other red-reticled sight. The big plus is that you can use it in almost all calibers.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #3

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

It is pretty simple. If your gun is a bolt action, remove the bolt. Look down the bore and line it up w/ your target at 100 yards. Next zero scope on the target center, double check allignment. Your boresighted! I also have a bushnell standard boresighter. Works great if the centerline of the scope is between 1.5 to 2.5" above the centerline of the bore.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
We've got a green laser that fits into the end of the barrel. It has a bushing that you change depending on the caliber of weapon you are using it in. Having the laser green makes it easy when sighting a "red-dot" or other red-reticled sight. The big plus is that you can use it in almost all calibers.
I was looking at one like that. It appears it would be nice so we could bore sight our rifles and shot guns as well all with the same bore sight.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #5

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
It is pretty simple. If your gun is a bolt action, remove the bolt. Look down the bore and line it up w/ your target at 100 yards. Next zero scope on the target center, double check allignment. Your boresighted! I also have a bushnell standard boresighter. Works great if the centerline of the scope is between 1.5 to 2.5" above the centerline of the bore.
I agree with JPatt, as usual. I bought a laser boresighter and the only time I've used it is to sight in my AR. The old school method he described works just fine for bolt guns.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got a boresighting laser from LaserLyte and the plastic bushings got stripped out from repeated use. I'm switching to the cartidge style boresighters soon since this one is just a glorified laser pointer now. I'm not saying it doesnt work for the first few times but I just wish the bushings had metal thread inserts so it'd last longer.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 AM   #7

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have very good results doing it JP's way, actually better than any bore sighter I've ever used.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I have a real aversion to stuffing things down my SS match barrels. So I just use the old look through the barrel look through the scope method. Just never ever ever forget that you stuffed that laser in the barrel of your rifle or else you end up with a nice fancy $800 rifle with a mushroomed barrel and a good $2k for the ER visit.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a laser boresighter that works pretty good. At least it will get you
on the paper. I don't have any of the cartridge type boresighters, but
if I did I don't think I would forget I chambered it.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #10

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I've been within 3" of dead center @ 100 yds several times, I set the scope at 2 MOA above POA. With JP's method

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.