Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bore Snake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default Bore Snake

This is, no doubt, a silly question... I have been cleaning my Henry Big Boy 45LC in the standard way with brush and patches.
Bought a bore snake, and the directions mention no solvent. These things aren't used DRY, are they?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #2

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I have used mine dry and with cleaning solvent. Whichever way you want to use it is fine. Just wash it and let it dry and you are good to go for the next cleaning.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks! Got the bore snake because the Henry has a pretty tight seal on the chamber, not much dirt accumulates other than in the barrel. Complete strip & clean each time seemed like I'd be causing excess wear. So, I'm thinking snake after each shooting session and full clean every 200 shots or so. If I'm thinking wrong, someone correct me please!

Old 07-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #4

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRTech
Thanks! Got the bore snake because the Henry has a pretty tight seal on the chamber, not much dirt accumulates other than in the barrel. Complete strip & clean each time seemed like I'd be causing excess wear. So, I'm thinking snake after each shooting session and full clean every 200 shots or so. If I'm thinking wrong, someone correct me please!
That's pretty much what I do with my .243, I don't think I've REALLY cleaned it in a few months. I also doing take very manny rounds with my for it though so I don't really need a major clean after each shoot.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #5

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I love me some bore snakes, handy little tool to have...

I'll always leave a thin coat of oil in the bbl after cleaning so before I use the gun again, I'll dry it out with a boresnake...with the wire brush taken out...so yes, sometimes I use it dry...

I still prefer the rod and patch/mop/brush system for deep cleaning but for a quickie I dab a little oil on my snake<---(Free Freudian slip for the next one in this thread...)

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 07-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #6

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Bore snakes cleaning your barrel with a dirty towel. I would get an otis cleaning system over pulling a dirty rag through my gun. The main reason while I will never use them is what to you think happens when a cloth coated in dirt, copper, powder, carbon gets pulled through your chamber? It scrapes that stuff off in the chamber. I have high quality rifles and use high quality products to clean them.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 552

I will use a "Clean" bore snake out in the field while hunting just to clear the bore of any dirt/dust from walking through the thick brush,etc. But that is the only use I have for them.
For cleaning any rifle,I will only use the original method-Rod/Patches/Solvent/Oil.
For clearing a bore of unwanted particles in the field,a bore snake works great.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have one for my rim fires and use the hell out of it. For the most part it will do more than enough to keep it running just fine. It's about as close as my 22's get to a cleaning till they get around 1K rounds through them. Then I'll take them down and clean them.

The method seems to work pretty well. I can hit pretty much anything I'm aiming at out to a little over 100 yds. And all but one of my 22's has untold thousands of rounds of bulk ammo spit out of it. Figure it it keeps me hitting golf ball targets at that range I'm in pretty good shape

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-26-2013, 03:25 AM   #9

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 363

I usually put a few drops of ballistol on mine

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-26-2013, 03:30 AM   #10
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

I put a patch with solvent on the end