Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Bore Cleaning (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/bore-cleaning-30106/)

Silvertip 44 08-06-2010 12:03 AM

Bore Cleaning

Just wanted to run a question on bore cleaning by this fine panel of experts.

To start with, several of the shooters at the range had been telling me that they only cleaned their bores after 150 to 200 rounds. Some of those being normally quite reliable in their knowledge.

I have always been sort of keep it clean oriented--not a clean freak--but not let it get real dirty.

Anyway, I decided to try what they were telling me and all went well for a while. I am supposing that I had approached 100 rounds through my M700 Mil Spec 5R .300 WM when all of a sudden it quit shooting those tight groups. I have been making loads with different bullets, powders etc. to find the most accurate load for the rifle for hunting purposes.
I was getting some very good 100 yard groups with the Berger 168 gr. Hunting VLDs and H 1000 in the range of 1/2 MOA then the groups got bigger and bigger and it wouldn't group the Accubonds hardly at all. I sat and thought here I am burning up expensive powder, primers and shooting these costly bullets and all has been wasted.
My sons M700 .30-06 was also giving a problem earlier of similar nature and I got to work cleaning it and thought I would never get all the copper out, but now it shoots like a champ. So I thought that could be the culprit.

It was exactly what I expected. Took me a day and a half to get it all out of the .300. I took it back the next day, fired a couple of fouling shots and it was right back in the groove. Needless to say, I have settled on my best load and will not be shooting it as much. I may fire up to 10 or 15 rounds on Wednesdays when we open up the long range section.

I have thought that I would go back to my old method of cleaning the bores after each session at the range. Is that too much or am I on the right track.
How many rounds or how often do you fine shooters clean your bores?

opaww 08-06-2010 12:10 AM

I clean after every shoot

Hot Sauce NARC 08-06-2010 12:20 AM

I clean my .223 after every time i go out. The guys who built my new 260 are avid bench rest competitors and they emphasized cleaning after every 20 rounds PERIOD, but that's for 1000 yard competition. 50-75 is probably a more real world number.

they also turned me onto some new cleaning chemicals that are simply amazing. I just use the accelerator with the patch out, get the bore wet with a mop wait 20 min and push a couple dry patched through, a voila; surgical clean. If its really dirty i sometimes use a nylon brush but only about 5-10 strokes.

TRAVIS204 08-06-2010 12:47 AM

I'm another one of those guys that were taught - you shoot it, you clean it, after each time.

Silvertip 44 08-06-2010 01:07 AM

Well, gentlemen, shoot and clean is what I have always done and never ran into a problem. Sometimes it may be best just to listen to advice but do what you know is right.
Thanks, those are the answers I wanted.

masterPsmith 08-06-2010 01:17 AM

Keep it clean. If you notice a decrease in accuracy while shooting, you have already gone too long without cleaning.

Jim........

cpttango30 08-06-2010 02:19 AM

It depends on which rifle I am talking about.

My 308 with a match grade SS barrel gets cleaned after every time out. Same goes for my AR. Now my remmy 700 gets cleaned 3 times a year. Once before the ground hog season once during and once after. That is it. It has never showed any signs of groups opening up over time either.

My rimfire RIFLES get cleaned once a year. Pistols are different both are semi autos so I clean them more often. Maybe every 2 times I go to the range they get cleaned.

c3shooter 08-06-2010 02:32 AM

Depends on the rifle. Some are more prone to metal fouling than others. You did not say the age or wear of your barrel, but you might consider trying a product like JB Boreshine after your next cleaning. Smooth lands gather less copper. Last time at range, watched a SERIOUS BR shooter, working on groups less than .25 MOA, cleaning every 10 shots. Could not argue with what I saw him putting on paper. However, that is extreme, and for the average target shooter, IMHO, overkill.

M14sRock 08-06-2010 02:54 AM

I have just about done away with brushes in my rifles.

I start with patches soaked in Kroil and let it sit for 24 hours.

Then, more kroil followed by a series of solvents with patches until they come out clean.

Learned this from some local BR shooters and it is working out so far.

Txhillbilly 08-06-2010 02:58 AM

Depending on the gun,I will clean when I notice a change in the way each one shoots. Some are 10 shots and clean,others will go much longer.
I generally clean all the guns I shoot at a range session within a couple days after going home just as a habit.
Now when it comes to hunting season,the guns do not get cleaned unless something happens while in the field.Then I will sight it in after cleaning.

On the subject of copper fouling,my new 25/06 is one of the worst copper fouling rifles I've ever seen.So far I haven't found any product that will take all the copper out.I've tried several liquid cleaners,and a couple foam cleaners.The rifle is just a copper mine,even after hand lapping the barrel twice.
A member of another forum sent me a link to something that I'm going to assemble and try.It seems to work,for those that have tried it.

Making the Surplus: Homade Electronic Bore Cleaner

If this works,I'll be happy.Then I'm going to try the Tubb's Final Finish bullets out on the 25/06 and see if it will help with the fouling problem.If it doesn't,then I'll just put a custom barrel on it.