Bolt actions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default Bolt actions

Hat is the best all around rifle action for s bolt gun in terms of reliability, accuracy, strength and weight? I understand there is no perfect action but what is all around exceptional?

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21224 Times on 12054 Posts
Likes Given: 52974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
Hat is the best all around rifle action for s bolt gun in terms of reliability, accuracy, strength and weight? I understand there is no perfect action but what is all around exceptional?
there are several to choose from that are quite excellent as far as bolt actions. the Remington M700, the Winchester M70, the Ruger M77, the Savage Models 110, 10, 11, 111, 112, 16, 116, the Howa 1500 or the Weatherby Vanguard, any of the Mauser actioned rifles and many others that are available. there are also custom made actions that are quite good but can be very pricey.

alot depends on your budget and intended use and personal preference plays a big part. most any action from a name brand will be quite good.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

All around reliability, accuracy, M-70 CRF Win.
Brownings shouldn't be discounted. My A-bolt HB with it's 3 lug floating head is one the most accurate rifles I have.

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Old 08-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #4

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Remington 700 is my favorite for many reasons. It has a much stronger action that others. The round action design allows for less material to be used to get the same strength as the OTHER actions. It is a favorite of the military, and many compatition shooters the world over. Go to an F-TR match and see who has more actions on the line than Remington. I know guys who built their one tube guns and use nothing but Remington 700 actions. They are shooting 190+ 10x with OPEN sights at 1k. If the 1911 is such a great pistol because it is so copied then the M 700 is a great rifle action. If you look at any of the top custom action makers they all have a M700 clone. Don't see anyone cloning the savage action or the Howa action.

Some people hate on the M700 because it is a push feed and not control round feed. How often are you shooting your gun sideways or upside down for it to even matter? I have had 20+ Remington 700's in my life and not a single one has ever failed on me nor has one ever shot worse than 1" at 100 yards for a 10 shot group. A 1" deer rifle with factory ammo is a great shooting gun.

That is me. Just about any of the name brand of rifles out there today are going to be good quality actions. With the use of CNC lathes, mills and cutting equipment the level of accuracy in the shooting industry today is unmatched at any other time.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The Winchester Pre-'64 is about as solid an action as you are going to find, assuming you can find one. It's American made and you would search long and hard to find a more complete platform, though it is very difficult to machine and blueprint. In fact, it's hell on tooling.

Gunnut loves him some Remmy 700's, and I can't fade him for his love. He shoots them fair and they have served him well in his poor shooting life. LOL

The Howa 1500 is a relatively "new" rifle action in the terms of whom they are going head to head with in the market. They only acquired their gun building rights in 2000 despite the fact they have been machining and manufacturing all sorts of items since 1907.

In 12 years they have made such a name for themselves all the major stock builders and trigger makers have a HOWA compatible model in their line ups.

They also are the single source for a little company called Weatherby in their Vanguard line, a positional foothold in the American market that a lot of companies wanted. Howa won out. Just sayin'.....

Having got that information out there.....

What are you looking to do? Build a bolt action for hunting? Buy a ready made rifle? Build a benchrest platform?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

I couldn't be happier with my Winchester model 70... in. 243 it makes a great deer rifle... my dad had a season where his 700 wasn't striking primers hard enough to detonate so he snagged my rifle and filled his tags! I like the 3 position safety as well...

Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5537 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Winchester 70, K-98 Mauser, Remington XB and 700, Waetherby Mark V, and Sako

Unless you want to spend big bucks, then get an Accuracy International.

Winston Churchill

Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #8

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger
What are you looking to do? Build a bolt action for hunting? Buy a ready made rifle? Build a benchrest platform?
I'm not planning on doing anything I just like to learn. One day i'll use this information just not anytime too soon.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #9

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Guess by now should have no idea whats best!! Go to a few gun shops and handle a some and buy one that fits your budget that you like. You can allways get a below average shooter or a above average rifle from anyone today. You can buy a very basic model that will shoot as well as a limited addition model for 1/3 the money too. Even with caliber . I don't like to see a new hunter use a 243 as it does take better than average bullet placement but for deer hunting most any caliber will work fine also.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #10

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

For a modern gun the remington 700. For an older gun the mauser action was fantastic. I think the remington 700 action is modeled after the mauser.